Thursday, March 7, 2019

3/7/19 Report - Some Sand Moved By Yesterday's Front. Huge Historic Hoards. Big Artifact Database.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Beach Today Near Low Tide.

I didn't get out to look at the beaches yesterday, but I did today.

The cold front moved a little sand.  At John Brooks there was a little erosion in front of the old bigger cut.

John Brooks Beach Thursday Near Low Tide.
There were a couple detectorists at John Brooks today.

There were lots of people down by the water in Fort Pierce.  It was an absolutely beautiful day.

Another View of John Brooks Beach Today.

Frederick Douglas Beach Thursday Near Low Tide.

The sand was not firm until you got close to the water line.

Frederick Douglas Beach Near Low Tide Thursday.
There was one detectorist in south of Frederick Douglas.

Fort Pierce South Jetty Beach Thursday Near Low Tide.

There were no parking spaces at Fort Pierce South Jetty.  The snow birds are in town.

They also had some heavy equipment and large rocks at the nest entrance to the south.  I don't know what they are getting ready to do now.

I didn't get to any other beaches so have no idea what the cold front did to any of those beaches.

---
Location of One Hoard Discovery.
Source: See the GovMint.com link below.
I found an article on the GovMint.com web site that summarizes seventeen hoards that were discovered from around the mid nineteenth century up until near the present.  These are large hoards and are probably not representative of the average hoard, if there is such a thing. Some of them are huge.  None of these hoards were discovered by a metal detector.  Most were discovered before metal detectors were used.

I went through the summaries and tried to see what I could learn from that.  The areticle doesn't provide a lot of detailed information, so it would require more research on each hoard to do a thorough study.

The hoards were large.  One consisted of six tons of bullion and 100,000 coins.  Another was 600,000 coins, and another was 100,000 coins.   One was wooden boxes full of coins.  Some were in kegs or bags.

Two were associated with railroad stations.  One of those was under a loading dock. One was in a specially constructed underground vault.  Two or three were in old bank vaults. Some were in basements.  One was dug up in a farm field.  The Saddle Ridge Hoard, as you know, was exposed by erosion.

You might want to visit the web site and do more research.

Here is the link.



---

I received this email from Scott S.

Not sure if you have seen this database on artifacts, but here you go. I use it sometimes to try to identify a mystery object or just to see other finds from our friends across the ocean. Takes a little time to go thru all they have but its pretty helpful. Just thinking you might enjoy.
https://finds.org.uk/database

This is a super database published by the Portable Antiquities Scheme.  I think I mentioned it some years ago and I thought I put it in my reference list, but I couldn't find it there, so I I just added it along with the manual for cataloging buttons that I mentioned a few days ago.

Thanks Scott!

---

It looks like we'll have a two or three foot surf for a few days.  The tides are moderate.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net