Monday, March 4, 2019

3/4/19 Report - Manual For Cataloging Old Buttons. Shipwreck Finds. Searching Paper Money for Valuable Serial Numbers.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Some Finds (Front and Back) By Joe S.
Photos by Joe S.

I just received the following email message and photos shown above.

Hello, I live in southern NJ and follow your blog all the time. I am retired and have been detecting for about 8 years. This is the first time I've decided to send you some of my finds. These pictures are some recent finds from a local beach known for shipwrecks just off the coast... 

Nice finds Joe.  Thanks for sharing.

Looks like the fronts of a couple ornate two-piece buttons, a flat button and an old nail that looks just like some of those we find on the Treasure Coast.

I get emails from around the world, even as far away as Australia.

Here is a link to an archaeological cataloging manual for buttons.

https://www.daacs.org/wp-content/uploads/buttons.pdf

Here is a part of a table from that document just to give you some idea of the type of information you can find there.

Part of Table from DAACS,org document referenced above.

You could use this table to identify the type of shank on the flat button shown above, for example.

I might add that link to my reference link list.

---

Yesterday I mentioned hunting paper money.  Some paper money is worth more than face value.  It doesn't have to be old either.  I've mentioned before about what are called "fancy serial numbers."

For a few months now I've been checking the serial numbers on the paper money that passes through my hands looking for fancy serial numbers and low serial numbers that can be worth some extra money.

So far the lowest serial number I've found has four leading zeros.  Here it is.



I found a very good web site that gives good information, including approximate values for bills with low serial numbers.  Here is what it says.

Low serial numbers are really a lot of fun to see. The more leading zeros you have on a currency, the higher the value will be. However, this rule does need to be explained:

Serial number 00000001 – 00000009, most valuable
Serial number 00000010 – 00000099, always carry a premium
Serial number 00000100 – 00000999, could carry a premium
Serial number 00001000 and higher will rarely be worth more than face value


So my dollar with four leading zeros didn't quite make it, but I'm getting closer.

You might want to check out the web site. It provides a lot of good information. Here is the link.

I've seen 00000001 serial numbered bills listed for tens of thousands of dollars, but the odds of finding one are very long.


http://oldcurrencyvalues.com/low_serial_numbers/

I highly recommend the web site.  It also has information on old paper money, foreign paper money, star bills, counterfeit bills, etc. etc.

---

On the Treasur Coast we haven't had much surf lately.  In a few days we'll get a bump in the surf, but only a small one.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net