Friday, October 29, 2010

10/29 Report - Blackbeard's Skeleton Dog & Various Sunken Treasures



Black Beard's Dog?

I just thought this was a great image for Halloween. I've posted it before. If I remember correctly, it is a dog skeleton found on the Queen Anne's Revenge wreck site, and could therefore be Blackbeard's dog.

Looks like he is still guarding the treasure.

For information on that wreck and the salvage efforts, archaeology, artifacts and conservation, here is the link. It is a good site with a lot of good information.

http://www.qaronline.org/

There has been much discussion about how the the HMS Victory should be handed since Odyssey Marine discovered and identified that important wreck. While some prefer to keep wrecks on the bottom, in this case there are some that want the wreck to be raised. Odyssey has offered a proposal on how they would handle the wreck.

Here is a link to one web site about that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10317790


Millions of dollars in gold and silver were found inside a ship that sank under mysterious circumstances in the South Atlantic. Some say the ship was sunk to hide the stolen loot. Video recordings taken by an ROV 80 metres below the surface of the ocean revealed bundles and baskets holding 9.6 tonnes of raw gold and silver. As far as I know this has not been salvaged yet due to the cost and difficulty of the project.

Here is the link to the story.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/americas/news/article_1485517.php/Load_of_gold_found_inside_sunken_ship_in_South_Atlantic

Sounds like an interesting project.

I received an email giving notice of a new web site that shows the Jupiter area beaches. That should come in handy.

Take a look.

www.JupiterBeachPics.com

I'll be adding this link to my blog in the next few days so you can find it here.

Forecast and Conditions.

The wind is out of the northwest now and I'm expecting a cold front, or should I say cool front, to be passing through. The seas are expected to be increasing through today and reaching a peak of about 5.5 feet tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see what the new waves do to the low areas like I showed yesterday. I'm not expecting much erosion, but the remaining old cuts might get cut further.

For the time being, I'm sticking with a 2 on my beach conditions rating scale.

Tropical Storm Shary is heading for Bermuda. There are two other disturbances out there to watch.

Happy Halloween Treasure Treats.
TreasureGuide@comcast.net