Tuesday, October 5, 2010

10/5 Report - Gold, Shipwrecks, Cobs & Watching for Erosion



Early Mexican Minted Cob.

It's not likely that you'll find one of these Juana and Carlos cobs on a 1715 Fleet beach, but you can find them at the SedwickCoins auction.



Archaeologists are learning more about the 18th Century ship that was discovered at Ground Zero. They also have a nice photo of the timber at the following web site.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39500174/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Some of the richest investors are buying gold by the ton.

Her is the link for more of the story.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6932NR20101004


I found an article about a man that found a Neolithic tomb in a garden under a big slab of rock. He said, "There is a big slab of stone about eight foot by eight foot and I had always wondered what was underneath it. I had a bit of time at the end of the summer and I thought I would take a look."

The fellow "...pushed a piece of wire down a hole at the side of the stone and discovered a cavern underneath it. He then pushed down a rod attached to an underwater camera he used for looking at wrecks and discovered a chambered cairn with skulls against the edge."

I believe there is a lot more treasure around us than we realize. Let's face it. We aren't the first people to walk this earth and trample the ground we live, play and work on. It's all been here for quite a while.

But the technique mentioned in this story is why I posted it. Mr Mowatt used a video camera on a pole. That is something you can easily do today with all of the new small video cameras - including waterproof. You don't have to stick your head into every nook and cranny. I think that is worth remembering.

Here is the link to the rest of that story.

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Neolithic-tomb-found-in-garden.6561782.jp?articlepage=2

Forecast and Conditions.

We are close to a new moon and the high tide will be unusually high. The seas are predicted to be highest on Wednesday. The prediction now is for 7.5 feet. Combined with the tide and northeast winds, I'm hoping and have good reason to expect some improvement on the beaches.

I got a quick look at a couple local Treasure Coast beaches, and it wasn't very exciting yet. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera along.

There was some slight improvement. At spots where there was some erosion in recent weeks, like the spot that I recently showed that was undercutting the bank, there was a small amount of additional erosion but not enough to really do a lot of good.
There were cut at some places up to about a foot on that beach.

On another beach there were places here there was a cut almost two feet high, but the cut was only a few feet long. It was more like a scalloped beach with the front edge of the scallop cut off.

As I said, I wasn't really excited by what I saw even though there was some improvement. I am not increasing my beach conditions rating yet, based upon what I saw.

The good news is that there were some small cuts and they were pretty high on the beach. The bad news is that the cuts weren't very significant, and the waves seemed to be hitting the beach straight on.

Maybe when the seas get up to 7.5 feet, if they do, we'll see a more significant improvement.

There is a tropical disturbance down by Puerto Rico that has a %50 chance of becoming a cyclone in the next 48 hours.

Happy Hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net