Thursday, October 7, 2010

10/7 Report - Another Beach Conditions Upgrade & Spanish Wrecks



Treasure Coast Beach This Morning.

The photo shows a three to four foot cut that ran pretty much the length of the beach.

Yesterdays cuts continued to increase through this mornings high tide and I suspect will continue through the day.

I'm increasing the rating on my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting Conditions Scale from a 2, which I issued yesterday, to a 3.

I don't think any beaches that were not cut yesterday will be cut today. The action remained pretty much the same through today, and it looks like previous cuts were further chipped away at and increased.

It would be good if the northeast winds continue for a few more days.

I would expect a few (not many) more cobs to be found today. We still have the problem of all of that dredged sand protecting many of the beaches up in Indian River County and the Sebastian area. Yet, as I mentioned yesterday, at least one shipwreck coin did surface up that way - I would suspect more than one.

I saw some pretty big cuts today, but again, they were in areas where cuts had already begun.

I thought it was interesting how the beach in the photo was eroding. A wave impacting the front of the cliff would cause a crack a few inches behind the cliff. The next impact would cause the sand in front of the crack to slide down into a pile in front of the cut. The next big wave would then wash the sand of that pile down the slope.

As I've often said, cobs are normally not found deeply buried in the sand. The reason for that, I believe, is that they are not washed away as quickly as the sand for two reasons. First, they are heavier than the grains of sand. And secondly, they lay flat and the receding water washes over them instead of pushing them.

Cogs and other coins might get covered when the next pile falls, but they don't wash down the hill as quickly as the sand. The result being that the cobs tend to be found near the surface of the sand. That pertains only to those that end up in front of the cut.

I've mentioned this before, but I've seen cobs fall out of the cliff where I saw them before putting the detector coil over them.

On another subject, the Spanish Navy is using its minesweepers to look for historic shipwrecks. They want to keep organizations like Odyssey Marine from finding and salvaging any more Spanish wrecks. By the way, that case is still pending.

It seems they have identified hundreds of possible shipwreck sites but have done little to verify them. They have found one anchor, and I'm sure a bunch of other junk.

Here's the link to the story.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/06/spain-treasure-sea-odyssey-wreck


I have a lot to talk about but have to keep it short again today. I'll get to some of the other topics on another day.

Forecast.

The swell is decreasing and will continue to decrease into next week. That will give you a chance to check out some of the low tide areas that it is difficult to get to under present conditions.

The wind is also continuing out of the northeast for now and the high tides are unusually high. That might help even if the swells do decrease.

I saw one spot that was continuing to cut today well after high tide, so conditions might stay good through at least tomorrow and maybe longer.

That is all for today.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net