Thursday, October 6, 2011

10/6/11 Report - Treasure Coast Beaches Start to Improve


Written by the TreasureGuide exclusively for the treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Treasure Coast Beach Without Erosion This Morning.

I'll start right off with a Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting Conditions upgrade this morning. I'm only upgrading to a 2. And that is a borderline two at this point. But it is an upgrade, which is more than we've seen for quite a while.

As you might know, my rating scale is a 5 point scale with 1 being poor and 5 being excellent. As I said, I would rate Treasure Coast beach conditions as a borderline two right now.

I expect conditions to continue to improve this weekend. But we'll have to wait and see how that goes.

Since I haven't been giving my ratings much lately due to the consistently poor conditions, I should repeat that my conditions rating scale gives my opinion of the chance of finding shipwreck cobs. and I should repeat once again, that my scale begins with a 1 instead of a zero because even when conditions are poor there is some minuscule chance of a cob appearing somewhere. They have been known to pop up in very surprising places, but that, of course, is rare.


Treasure Coast Beach With Some Erosion This Morning.

As my photos show, the conditions varied some from one beach to another. Some beaches showed absolutely no erosion this morning, while others were scalloped a little and some were cut a little.

In the second photo you see some small unimpressive cuts. At least it is moving in the right direction.

Below you see a beach that has cuts over a foot tall that extend for hundreds of yards.

Even on that beach, conditions are only minimally improved. The erosion is in sand that accumulated relatively recently during relatively calm conditions. And the slope is pretty mushy.

Treasure Coast Beach With More Erosion This Morning.

There were some modern coins found on this beach - some up at the foot of the cut, and some down near the water. And a little trash too.

So even though I can't say that things have changed a lot yet, at least it has started to move in the right direction in some locations.

Notice the rounded berms. The water had been up and onto the flat beach a little. Not too many shells behind the cut though.

The waves were hitting the beaches almost directly from the east. Hopefully the angles will change some this weekend.

As you can see from the illustration below, which was clipped from the surf web site that I provide a link to, the wind and waves are hitting the beach at almost exactly 90 degrees.


The surf predictions are holding nicely. They are still predicting eight foot seas in the Fort Pierce area this weekend, gradually diminishing on Monday.

Twelve foot seas are still predicted for Sebastian this weekend too.

That should be good. It might even erode the dunes.


I have a lot of other news today, but will have to cut it short.


Here is a message from Bernie C. regarding the St. Lucie Metal Detecting Club.

Our First meeting is this Saturday October 8th. It will be held at Duffy's Sports Grill 4179 NW Federal Highway, Jensen Beach at 6pm. Don't forget to bring your new and old finds to the meeting as we will have a show & tell along with item discussions. I will have business cards, permission & membership forms for everyone. We will also be talking about hunting locations, equipment, hunting rules and state laws. Duffy's is requesting a head count so let me know if you will be there. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great time.

Email Bernie at twiprod001@att.net.


And a quick correction, that I'll have more about in the near future. I got word form a couple people that Ruck's Pit is open. I'll have more on that in a day or two also.

And some more exciting news from the Fishers that I'll post soon.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net