Wednesday, October 12, 2011

9/12/11 Report - Eight-Reale Found


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

8 Reale Found by Dean C.

Here is a great recent find. I told you before last weekend, I think it was, that there would be some cobs found. This is one photo of a find that was submitted to me a day or two ago.

It is reported to have been found "north of Jupiter inlet."

I don't know if the photo shows all of the detail that actually shows on the cob or not. Like any cob, some of the design is undoubtedly not present.

Anyhow, it appears to be something like the eight-reale below, which you can use as a guide.



The find appears to be a Mexican mint something like this example.

The mint and assayer mark is to the left of the shield in the photo. It appears that it might be an OMP.

If the assayer is "P" it would be an unidentified assayer that worked at the Mexican mint from 1634 to 1665.

The "8," indicating the denomination, seems to be a blur to the right of the shield. And is often the case, you can't see much of the information around the edge of the cob.

A photo of the other side of the cob showing the cross could quickly verify the Mexican mint.

I think it is always handy to have a good example of similar coins to show you where things should appear.


Do you know how sometimes the world seems like nothing more than a conspiracy to get in the way of you doing something you want to do? Well, it has been that way for me lately. I can't complain though. No big deal. But I wanted to get out to the beach to detect and take a look at conditions, yet things got in my way and I didn't get out very much at all.

I did manage to get in some beach time the past few days, but very little. It was so little that I couldn't do this blog the way that I expect to or want to. I just didn't get a chance to look around as much as I wanted and didn't get as much chance to detect as much as I wanted. And then when I tried to do my posts, google was giving me some trouble.

If I was able to get out more the past few days, I would have given more detailed condition updates, and even though I had some technical difficulties, I did manage to get a little done. I'll try to catch up some. It looks like I'll have a little more time and the technical problems seem to be solved.

I'll leave this for now and try to get back with more details information soon - maybe later today.


Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net