Monday, February 20, 2012

2/20/12 Report - Gold 1715 Fleet Ring & More


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Gold Engraved 1715 Fleet Ring for Sale on eBay.

The asking price is $3000. It has a Fisher certification.

I'm not recommending that you buy this or anything. I just thought you might like to take a look at it.

Always be careful when buying online. There are a lot of fakes and scams out there. I personally don't buy coins or artifacts online unless I know something about the seller or unless the item is inexpensive. Do your research before spending money.


Another cold, or should I say cool front, came through. If you've been watching, you've probably noticed the common pattern. First wind from the west/northwest, shifting to more north and northeast, and then east, and finally from the south.

The north/northeast wind often results in a little erosion, but the cold fronts usually move through so quick and it goes through the progression so quickly that the erosion is usually not much and doesn't last long. It doesn't seem to result in a lot of coins being washed up either. At least not recently.

I think the best production the last couple of years, with the exception of one or two small spots, has resulted from the few times that the water has actually hit the dunes pretty hard. That hasn't been foften, and it has been pretty much limited to small areas.

It seems to me that the succession of cold fronts this year hasn't done much but recycle sand fron the front beach to the shallow water and back again. I don't think the moving sand has been deep enough to free up many new coins, most of which remained buried under the sand on the front beach and in the shallow water. There hasn't been many times when the winds have remained from the north or northeast long enough to move a lot of that sand.

A good sustained northeaster will sit out there in the ocean and churn for days and move enough sand to get down to deeper levels. We haven't had that in the past couple of years.

I don't know what the beaches look like today. I've been off-beach for a few days.



To me metal detecting is the ultimate green activity. I can't imagine how many pull tabs, pieces of aluminium, iron and miscellaneous junk I've picked up over the years. It must be tons. But that isn't the half of it. And a whole lot of coins are returned to circulation by detectorists all over the world every year. I wish I had some idea of how many coins that would be. On top of that is all the lost jewelry and artifacts that are recovered that would otherwise be lost forever.


Dug Button For ID.

I might have shown this button before, but still don't have any information on it.


I was talking a few days ago about cleaning silver. One thing you can do with silver is melt it down and recast it. You can make a mold and create new objects from your old silver.

Here is a video that will give you an idea about how that is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwbyOJrWCHs&feature=related

You can probably find a class to take if you want. I know they used to have them at some of the community colleges. If you take a class at a school you can use their equipment except for basic supplies such as the wax. You can learn to do it without all the extras, depending upon what you plan to make.

The surf web sites are predicting increasing seas today, up to around four or five feet, slightly increasing more through tomorrow, but not reaching heights that would lead me to expect much improvement in beach conditions.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net