Sunday, February 12, 2012

2/12/12 Report - Huge Sotheby's Spanish Coin Auction & A Little Beach Experiment


Written by the TreasureGuide of the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Only two more detecting days left before Valentines Day!

Photo Received by Email From Sotheby's.

The Archer M. Huntington Collection of 37,895 coins relating to the history of Spain will be sold as a single lot at auction by Sotheby's ending on 8 March 2012. You can pick up this nice collection if you have enough money. The collection is presently owned by the Hispanic Society of America (HSA) and is expected to bring in $25 to $35 million. There are some really exceptional and rare examples in this collection.

Here is a press release from Sotheby's describing the collection.

http://www.sothebys.com/content/dam/sothebys/PDFs/Huntington_Coins_pressrelease.pdf

Some nice photos too.

And here is a link to an excellent 55 page overview of the collection, including more nice photos and some good history.

http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=1162850547717746190&postID=4646250314141064512


I mentioned a little experiment I tried the other day. I wanted to find out how the waves would move a coin from the base of a cut. I placed a penny at the base of a cut where some sand had just slid down and waited for some wave action to move the coin. The first few waves barely reached the coin and didn't move it at all. Then a wave crashed into the base of the cut and the penny quickly disappeared.

I didn't see how it moved. I don't know if it flipped, slid or what. But it appeared to move a good distance quickly.

A few more waves hit the same area in rapid succession and I couldn't find the coin until the waves paused for a minute or so. I then relocated the penny, about two yards away from the base of the cut down the slope and about three yards south of its original location.

That is pretty much what I expected.

You will generally find that coins move south on East Coast beaches. Often you'll find good accumulations of items in dips in the water just south of where most people collect on a beach.

I thought that maybe the coin originally moved farther away from the cut on the first wave and was then moved back up a short distance from subsequent waves, but I don't know that for sure.

My experiment seemed to illustrate to me one way that what I call "coin lines" are created.

When found the coin was still close to the top of the sand even though the sand was mushy. Of course I'm only talking about a few minutes here.

I have some ideas on how to improve the experiment and will look into this more before long.


Treasure Coast Beach Forecast and Conditions.

It is a little chilly this morning. Especially on the windy beach. It got down into the thirties along the Treasure Coast last night.

We have some good wind out of the North/Northwest this morning. And the seas are up pretty good - over six feet this morning. Overall that should help.

I'm rating beach conditions as a strong 2 now.

The seas will remain fairly steady throughout the day and then start to decrease tomorrow. It would probably be a good idea to hit the low tide zone on Tuesday or so. Tuesday and later in the week will have considerable smaller seas.

I hope to continue some of my experiments under current conditions if I get a chance.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net