Thursday, March 8, 2012

3/8/12 Report - Medallion, Spear of Destiny & Spanish Mission


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.






This medallion was submitted for help with identification. It was found with musket balls and other items including a button marked 1822.

I've received a lot of good information from this blog's readers about other religious medallions that were posted, so I'm hoping to hear from you about this one too.


One side seems to say: b virg sine yb cc orig concez

And the other side: s.igna.loy ol.soc.ies.f.



Here is a link to an article on the legend of the Spear of Destiny.

http://io9.com/5889471/what-is-the-spear-of-destiny-and-where-can-you-get-it


University of North Florida archaeologists are going to be looking for the location of Santa Cruz y San Buenaventura de Guadalaquini Mission on
St. Simons Island this month.

Here is a link for more about that.

http://m.jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2012-03-05/story/unf-archaeologists-looking-spanish-mission-during-dig-st-simons-island


Concerning the Cocoa ordinance against unsafe holes, Terry T. said 10 new beach patrols have been hired to issue fines if they deem a whole unsafe.

We had hall monitors in school, I guess they now have hole monitors.


I was going through some of my books the other day and noticed this inscription.



Bob lived in St. Lucie and is now gone like a number of the people that I met while detecting. I remember Bob mostly from the time he was working on the Nieves site on the Virgalona, if memory serves correctly. That was probably back in the eighties.

A few of his finds included a gold 8 Royal and a bunch of gold 1715 Fleet rings.



The seas are still a little rough, up around six feet today, decreasing just a little until Sunday when they are predicted to be up around seven feet again.

I'll keep my beach conditions rating at a 2 for now. Unfortunately the wind is coming from the southeast, so I'm not expecting much, if any, improvement for a while.


Have you ever heard the song The Circle of Life? I like the lyrics. Here is the beginning.

From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found


I suppose it is better if you know the music that goes with it. It's really nicely done in the Festival of the Lion King show at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

There are a bunch of ways I could go with those lyrics, but I'll just let you ponder it for yourself today if you are so inclined.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net