Thursday, August 30, 2012

8/30/12 Report - Still a Lot to Be Found - Space Age to Ice Age


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Ice Age to Space Age Finds From the T. C. Yesterday
The other day I said that the improvements in beach conditions were short lived.  It turns out that I was a little premature with that.  I went to check one of the secondary beaches yesterday afternoon and found that there is still a lot out there.  I had  seen a lot of detectorists working the primary shipwreck beaches and assumed that the beaches would have been well worked over.  I was wrong about that.  Yesterday afternoon I visited one beach that is well known as a shipwreck beach and where a lot of people detect and found that there was still a lot of targets even though I would have expected it to be cleaned out.  
There are a couple of factors that might explain why this one area was not cleaned out yet.  First, it was not right by the beach access.  You had to walk a little way to get to it.

I've mentioned this before.  If you only detect right in front of the beach access, you're probably hunting in the same sand where everybody else has hunted.  It can pay to walk a little distance from the beach access.  People seem to think that the only place to find cobs is right in front of the beach accesses.

I've said before, if you want to improve your chances, don't do what everybody else is doing in the exact same place that everybody else is doing it. 

Yesterday I took a walk and found an area where there were a lot of easy targets without hardly any junk in between, and it was right in front of an obvious cut.  With so many detectorists out lately, I was really surprised to find such a good coin line so easily.  

The coins weren't buried deep.  In fact, they were laying very near the surface, as will most often be the case when you find a coin line or coin hole.  I saw a couple of them before digging.

Many of the coins were in black sand.  Maybe that is why they were missed.  Some detectorists don't know how to detect in black sand, even though it is often a good place to detect.

Maybe people think that you won't find many coins away from the beach access because it is away from where the people go.  I don't know how all of those coins got there.  I do know that it is not unusual to find good coin lines well away from where today's crowds go.  I don't know if these coins were moved a good distance by the forces of nature or not, but I know that it does happen.  I've done experiments on that before.

Most coin lines will be composed of modern clad.  That might not be of interest to you.  But if you find older modern clad that has been concentrated by nature over time, you will be getting closer to other older items and possibly gold.  

I always look at finds to see what they tell me about how the sand and other items are moving and where other types of items might be found.  One reason I don't use much discrimination is because even junk tells me something about how things are moving and where other things are likely to be found.

The photo above shows a sample of yesterday's finds.  It might actually go from the Space Age to the Ice Age. 

Another 14K Band Find
The first item on the left is titanium, and the second is a sea-tumbled fossil tooth from an extinct horse.  You can also see a piece of copper sheathing with a possible square nail hole in it, a piece of  spike, and the type of encrusted coins that were found in the coin line.

The photo to the right shows another 14k band find.  Some other unidentified items are being cleaned.

The storms are pretty much out of the way by now.  Seas are back to calm (one or two feet) with South winds.  Things won't change much for a while, but like I showed today, it seems there are still some places to make a lot of finds if you are willing to check out some of the less popular spots.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net