Friday, August 31, 2012

8/31/12 Report - Recent Treasure Coast Metal Detector Finds - Old Buttons



Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



There were some nice finds on the Treasure Coast this past week.   I've received photos of a few.


Front of Button Found by William M.

Back of Button Found by William M.

















A couple of nice old buttons were found on the Treasure Coast this week.  The photos above show William's button.
William also found a fossil sharks tooth, piece of a mastodon tusk, and horse tooth.


The photo below shows a similar period button found by another detectorist.

Another Nice Button Find.

Isaac also cut the beaches down at Jupiter and some nice shipwreck finds were recovered.  

Below is a photo of the cut at Jupiter, which was sent in by Tom Guidus of Wreckovery Salvage.

Tom found a cob and two small lead balls, which to me looked like they could have been the small balls loaded into a musket with a larger ball, the combination being called "buck and ball."


If you want to learn more about buck and ball, here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_and_ball



Cut at Jupiter.  Photo by Tom Guidus.
Thanks to those who sent in photos and reports.  It makes my job much easier.

Sorry I can't post every photo that I receive because of a variety of factors.  I appreciate receiving them all.  Even when I can't post a photo or report, it still helps me to get a more complete picture of what is going on, and that helps me to create a better blog.


There is a hurricane (Kirk) and a tropical storm in the Atlantic.  Both seem to be headed away from us.

We have very calm seas now.  I'm downgrading my beach conditions rating to a 1 again.

Early next week the seas are predicted to increase again, maybe up to five or six feet later in the week.

Keep watching.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net