Monday, August 13, 2012

8/13/12 Report - 1715 Fleet Salvage Vessels at Work & More


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



Salvage Vessel At Nieves Site Sunday
The salvage vessels were busy at work on the Nieves site yesterday.   Here is a photo showing the largest of the vessels at work near low tide.  This vessel was near the main ballast pile about a hundred yards off shore right in front of the entrance road at the park.

There appeared to be at least two other dive boats at work, one a good distance to the south and one to the north.  It looked pretty busy out there.

Below is another photo near the same spot.  Notice how much sand there is in the shallow water.  Any storm will have to move a lot of sand before the beaches become productive of old shipwreck coins again.  Not only is there a lot of sand on the beach, there is a lot in front of the beaches, as you can see here.


Beach Sunday near Low Tide

There was a lot of sand and shells piled up on the front beach, which is probably pretty typical of what you will see around the Treasure Coast.  I did however get a report from Bernie C. of one beach with a six foot cut running for a long distance.  Coin lines were found too.



William M. cleaned the lead seal, but not much more detail appeared.

Here is a good site that tells how to clean lead and lead alloyed metals.

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/CRL/conservationmanual/File14.htm



If you are hunting in water a shirt pocket is not a very good place to keep much of anything even in the shallowest water, especially not electronics or anything small that you don't want to lose.  Pants pockets might be safer even if they are closer to the water.  At least that is what my personal experience suggests to me.
Just the other day, I was in only a foot or so of water, had my camera and phone in a camera case in a shirt pocket.   I thought they were safe. 

Although I usually use a water proof container for those types of things, I didn't bother because I wasn't expecting to be in water of any depth.  Well, I bent over to pick up an item, and even though the pocket has Velcro to keep it closed, the weight of everything I had stuffed  in that one pocket pulled the loose shirt a foot or so towards the water and just enough that a small wave could come up and hit the pocket enough to get it wet.  The camera case wasn't completely closed and the velvet-like bag containing the camera soaked up every ounce of water like a super sponge, so that the camera got thoroughly wet and stopped working.  I did get it working again after it got dried out, but it was enough to warn me once again about the dangers of shirt pockets.  

Shirt pockets can also lose small items when you bend over unless they are firmly closed by a button or Velcro.  Just a little caution. 

Also, I'll state the obvious.   Make sure you don't have a hole in your pocket.  Small items, and not so small items, like a gold chain will find it's way out of a very small hole.  After walking about a half mile back to the car, I once discovered that a nice Italian gold chain had snaked its way out of a very small hole in my shirt pocket.  I did find it again after walking back the half mile again.  But the warning is the same.

A good secure waterproof container can be a very useful accessory when detecting even if you are not detecting in the water.  It can prevent things from getting wet if you are caught in a sudden rain storm.


Ohhhhhh, and make sure there is not a hole in your goody bag.  One detectorist I knew was finding a lot of coins in one area and thought he had a real hot spot until he discovered that he was finding the same coins over and over as they dribbled out of his goody bag.

Heavy and sharp objects can cut through bags too.  I've had that happen to me.  A good extra heavy-duty goody bag is a good thing to have.


Notice Concerning Ruck's Pit:  A fossil expert and a fellow that has always been a big help to me when I needed help in identifying fossils emailed me to say,  I just spoke to Eddie's wife, Debbie, and they (Ruck's Pit) are open and will be open for the forseeable future and beyond. 

Sorry for any error or confusion I may have caused.


The wind is from the west/southwest and the seas still down around one or two feet.  That will be the case for the next few days.  Low tide Monday will be close to noon.   It seems like we've been having a lot of low water.

Nothing much to pay attention to in the Atlantic right now.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net