Monday, February 18, 2013

2/18/13 Report - Deteriorating Beach Conditions & Big Tooth



Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Cut on Treasure Coast Beach Monday Morning.

First the bad news.  The cuts that I showed yesterday were 75% filled back in this morning.  Instead of continuing to erode, it filled back in again.   Where there were four foot cuts yesterday, today only one foot cuts.  As a result I'm dropping my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting rating back to a 1 (poor).

That was a short upgrade.  The wind switched again.

Above you see another beach were there were still some small cuts this morning.  You can see the two steps.

The sand there is renourishment sand that was trucked in.  I took a quick look to see if I could get an idea of where it came form or what, if anything, might be in it, and I didn't find any indication that it would be very productive.  I didn't spend enough time to say for sure though.

One problem is that sometimes when you find a cob, there won't be one other target on the whole beach.  That makes it difficult to tell from a quick scan.

Besides the filling that I noticed this morning, there didn't seem to be much else out there.  Very few signals and not even much in the way of shells, ceramics or other things.  The beach seemed pretty darn clean.


The poll blog will end before tomorrow, so I am looking forward to looking at the results.


Another piece of bad news.  I was hearing yesterday about some cars that were broken into at some of the beach accesses.  So be careful.

My best advice is drive a junker, don't leave anything in it, and leave the doors open.

The bad thing about locking a car even if there isn't anything in it, the bad guys will still break a lock or window to get in and that will cost you more than replacing a few things that were left in the car.

I don't want to give the impression that things are really bad that way.  It is nothing like around Miami, but you should still be careful because it does happen up here to.

One of the theives is said to be driving a white pick-up truck, but I am sure there are others.


Dan B had quite an adventure over at the Peace River.  Wild pigs, scorpion and sleeping in a kayak.   Lots of fun.

Here is a tooth he found.



That is a good reminder that there are all kinds of treasures out there and when the beaches aren't good, you can always try something else.

I also heard about a lot about some relics dug from Indian mounds back sometime ago (legally of course).  Maybe I'll be able to tell you some more about that.

On the Treasure Coast the surf is around 2 - 4 feet and will decrease a bit for the rest of the week.  I don't expect any immediate improvement in conditions.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net