Monday, August 22, 2016

8/22/16 Report - Another Cache From the 2004 Hurricanes. Old Great Lakes Shipwreck. Fort Benton Dig. Fiona and Other Weather Systems.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Another Post-Hurricane Cache
Source: 2015 Orlando Sentinel Clipping
sent to me by Darrel S.
This cache was found by Joel Ruth in Brevard County just after Hurricane Jeanne.  I've been talking a good bit about caches lately and decided to add this one.

There were really a lot of finds after Jeanne and Francis.  Coins were found in bunches by a number of  detectorists after the hurricanes.  I've shown only a very few of those that I know about.

---

Zika appears to be spreading.  Portect youself from mosquitos in any case.  Here is a link about that.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article96420487.html

---

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The second-oldest confirmed shipwreck in the Great Lakes, an American-built, Canadian-owned sloop that sank in Lake Ontario more than 200 years ago, has been found, a team of underwater explorers said Wednesday...

The sloop Washington was built on Lake Erie in Pennsylvania in 1798 and was used to transport people and goods between western New York, Pennsylvania and Ontario. It was placed on skids and hauled by oxen teams across the Niagara Isthmus to Lake Ontario in 1802 after being sold to Canadian merchants...

Here is the link.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/17/explorers-find-second-oldest-confirmed-shipwreck-great-lakes/

---

FORT BENTON – Perhaps as many as 120 years have passed since the historic old Fort Benton had both its blockhouses, defensive towers at opposite corners of the fur-trade-era fort...

An archaeological dig is underway to determine exactly where the southwest blockhouse was, its pieces long ago repurposed...


Here is that link.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/local/2016/08/15/digging-history-fort-benton/88810422/

---

This has been a tough year for me.  Jan. 1 I broke and tooth, then a multitude of things happened including my mother's hospitalization, then I spent this past weekend in the hospital.  My luck has been as bad as the weather had been hot.  I've had a two decades worth of inconvenience in a single year. I'm fine now. It was a weird thing, and I'm back to normal. Hope the worst of this year is over.

I was headed to the walk-in clinic when I got sick as a dog and had to pull into an gas station.  I drove over to an unpaved exit that I thought was pretty much out of the way where I had to open the door and throw-up everything in side me, while some fellow blew his horn for me to move because I guess I was inconveniencing him.  I really appreciated that.  Actually I was too sick at the time to pay it much other than passing attention.

It has been month after month of the same type of weather.  I'm hoping for a change there too.  I'd like to see a good long storm but not a hurricane.

Source: nhc.noaa,gov

Fiona is still out there and heading towards Bermuda.

The second one (yellow) has not strengthened yet, but could head our way.

The third is expected to become a cyclone very soon, but is still expected to head out into the North Atlantic.

This morning the surfing web site predicted a ten foot surf for the Treasure Coast, but that didn't last long.  It is not back down to around three feet.  Those big bumps you see in the surf report 7 to 10 out seldom last.

We'll have to wait a little longer before we get any kind of a good idea about what these weather systems will bring to the Treasure Coast.

Glad to be out of the hospital.  I did my last post from the hospital bed.  First time I was a hospital patient in the last sixty years or so.  Don't want to be one again.

I still have a lot of finds and stuff to show you.  Sometimes I'm missing a detail that I'd like to include and don't have the time to spend researching it.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net