Wednesday, February 15, 2017

2/15/17 Report - History of Anchors. The Florida Shore. Lost Cannon Ball. Fact Checking Pre-Columbian New World Maps Article.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Source: See link below.


I received a number of emails the past few days and received some good information.  Brian B. sent me a link to a Master's Thesis on the history and development of the English anchor.  It provides a lot of good information, including some good information on Spanish anchors too.  If you find an anchor and want to identify it, or if you are simply interested in history and nautical things, you'll want to browse this thesis.  The title is The History and Development of English Anchors Circa 1550 to 1850, by Harold Jobling.  Below is a brief excerpt describing the contents.


You'll also find a good section on terminology and of course a good bibliography.

Here is the link.

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/pdf-files/Jobling-MA1993.pdf

---

Brian also sent a link to a useful book, Living With The East Florida Shore, by Pilkey et al.

Here is one brief excerpt from the online preview.

You might want to look at the table of contents and browse through that one too.  

Thanks to Brian B. 

---

I also received the following email.

My name is Kurt R...   I'm recently new to metal detecting. And am really enjoying your posts.  Lately you have been talking about mistakes and regrets.  About a month ago when we had that last storm that exposed the sandbags at turtle trail I had just got there and was having trouble with a failing coil... I had a large target and i;m pretty sure it was a cannonball in my haste to fix my detector i threw it up on the beach and fiddled with my detector for a bit when i went to grab the object it was gone.. If you could please post and see if anyone reading has it and would like to return it.. Best find i've ever found lost again? I should have taken it right to my truck but i was frustrated..  

Sincerly,
Kurt R...


---


I  posted a link to an article on Pre-Columbian maps of the New World in my 2/8 post.  Dan C. provided some links showing that the author, Dr. Thomspon, is not very credible.  

Here is what Dan wrote about that.



... Unfortunately, in treasure hunting and archaeology (and history), we have to be on the lookout for "fringe" science and lunacy.

As it turns out, this Dr Thompson has no qualifications in the field - his Phd is in some unrelated field, BUT, qualifications aside, even non-Phd folks deserve respect if they make sense.  This guy is a fraud and lunatic through and through:

Here he claims to "authenticate' a so-called ancient Chinese world map that has been clearly dismissed as bad forgery, a hoax:

http://www.1421exposed.com/html/wade_challenge.html

There have been a lot of people who write books to make a living off of the gullibility of others, and he is one of them.

Keeping an open mind  is healthy. We should not blindly follow assumptions by others who claim to "know".




Thanks much for the research Dan.


---


I very much appreciate the emails I receive and want to thank everybody.  Your input helps me a lot, as you can tell from today's post.

I hope your wife bought you a new detector for Valentine's Day.

We still have more one and two foot surf days coming this week.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net