Monday, February 20, 2017

2/20/17 Report - Observations From A Little Detecting This Morning. A Good Book On the Wreck of the Rosario.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Two Views of Pepper Park This Morning



No surprises this morning.  The beach front was very sandy, as was the shallow water.

Pepper Park is heavily detected and the area in front of the central lifeguard station was very clean.  No nails, bottle caps or anything metallic.  This beach is very heavily detected during the winter months.  I only stopped there on my way to another spot that I wanted to detect.

The beach that I detected is not a wreck beach, and is not detected much at all.  It doesn't have a lot of targets, but when conditions are right, does produce some old things.  That did not happen today.  I hadn't been there in months, and I could see that there had been some good erosion sometime in the past that I missed.  The cliff was eroded back several feet from the last time I detected there, but it had filled in again.  Like I said, I missed it.

Despite all the new piled up sand on the front beach, there was a coin hole in the shallow water.   It only produced modern coins though.  On top of the poor conditions, the noseeums were voracious.  It wasn't the best hunting morning I've ever had.

Earlier in the morning at Pepper Park I used the Garrett Ace a while.  Later I used the ATX some.  One thing I noticed is that it took a little time to get accustomed to the ATX after using the Ace.  The signals I was getting from the ATX made everything sound huge after using the Ace for a while.  I never thought of that before, but it can take a little time (not very long) to get accustomed to sounds of a detector when you switch from one to another.  I'm sure that is more true in some cases, depending upon the particular detectors.

---

My wife took a little walk the other day and found the following items.

Usable Fishing Equipment Finds.

Small Cork Top Medicine Bottle and Couple Of Pieces of Pottery.
I always enjoy recovering usable objects.

---

Here is a book you might want to take a look at.  It is  Oceans Odyssey 3. The Deep-Sea Tortugas Shipwreck, Straits of Florida: A Merchant Vessel from Spain's 1622 Tierra Firme Fleet, by Kingsley and Stemm.

Here is a bit of the description.

In 1990 Seahawk Deep Ocean Technology of Tampa, Florida, commenced the world’s first robotic archaeological excavation of a deep-sea shipwreck south of the Tortugas Islands in the Straits of Florida. At a depth of 405 meters, 16,903 artefacts were recovered using a Remotely-Operated Vehicle. The wreck is interpreted as the Buen Jesús y Nuestra Señora del Rosario...

Click here for a free preview of the book.
The book contains 210 page and costs less than $20.  Not bad.

---

As I've already suggested above, Treasure Coast beach detecting conditions are not good,  I don't expect that to change any time real soon.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net