Friday, September 1, 2017

9/1/17 Report - Wind and Weather Prediction Web Site. Stone Artifact Finds. Yellow Brick House. Category 3 Hurricane Irma.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Clipping From Really Useful Web Site Showing Wind Direction and Other Data.
See Ventusky link below.
Here is a really good and useful web site.  It shows wind direction and other useful data.  You can change the time and date and see the predicted wind for tomorrow or whatever time you choose.

Wind direction is very important in predicting erosion.  That is one thing I am very interested in if I want to detect for old coins or other items.

You might want to check out this site.  I will be adding it to the blog section on wind and surf.

Here is the link.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=25.1;-80.7;4&l=rain-3h

Thanks to Brian B. for alerting me to this site.

I also recently added the USGS web site that shows coastal areas expected to experience events such as overwash and inundation.  You'll currently find it near the bottom of my reference list on the first page of the blog.

---

Sorry for the confusion.  A few times yesterday I wrote "quarter" when I meant nickel.  The photos I showed yesterday are of nickels, except for the picture of the capped die strike example from Jim's coin web site.

---

I received the following email message and find photo from Ed B.

Hello my unmet friend! It's been a while, but I have remained a daily reader. The last few years have been quite a personal journey for me and I have landed in north-east Alabama. I know this isn't Heaven but it sure must be close. Anyway, I finally have some finds to share with you. I have been hiking and creek walking and although no metal detector was involved, I still found a bit of treasure. 

The smallest is a beveled scraper, mid-sized is a tomahawk head. Those two tan lines are sap I think. The third one is I believe to be a grinding stone and it seems to have been made for a left handed person. It fits the left hand perfectly and is ground down on the right end from use. I am not sure of the age but whoever made them has my respect. They are well designed and fabricated. Even the scraper has finger stops on the back and a depression for the thumb. If you have any insights, I'm all ears.

Thanks again for all your hard work. It really is appreciated...



Finds and photo by Ed B.

Ed's email provides a great opportunity for me to remind you to keep your eyes open while detecting. There are a lot of non-metallic finds you can make by sight. Arrow heads and other items are sometimes found on the Treasure Coast beaches, especially after a high surf.


I personally love checking along creeks and rivers when I am up north. Erosion is erosion not matter where it occurs, and it is always a good idea to check out erosion where ever you find it.

Thanks much for sharing Ed.

---


The Yellow Brick House.


Up north in a small rural village consisting of a school and an old store surrounded by a few houses where a small creek joins a larger one and the side roads join the main road, there was a low green space next to the creek where arrow heads are commonly found when the garden is plowed and where Native Americans once hunted deer and other small game while the children played. 

 After the big war, young men came home.  One green corner lot, like several other lots scattered over the hills and through the valleys, became a cheerful yard surrounding a brand new yellow brick house.  

My earliest friend, who was born a day after me in the same hospital in town, moved from a little old white house on the side of a hill to a new yellow brick house built by her dad near the center of the village built on the nice green lot.  I remember my friend and I sitting on the floor of that new house and watching the Mickey Mouse Club on TV.  We were both so young.

My friend and I went through the same schools.  Then we went to the same college.  We each got married, went our ways and time passed. She and her husband are both gone now, but I occasionally think of that village where we were young.

Last night I dreamed of a couple young kids running and playing in the fresh green yard surrounding the yellow brick house on the other side of the creek from the school.  I'm sure my dream was more than a dream and children actually run and play in that yard today, not having any thought or care about what happened before or what will come.  But time will pass and someday maybe they'll think back to when they were young and ran and played in the green yard around the yellow brick house.
 
---

You might think that wasn't about treasure hunting, but it is.

---


Hurricane Irma
Source: nhc.noaa.gov
Harvey is now in Tennessee.  The one to watch now is Hurricane Irma - a cat 3 hurricane. That one formed very early and is already a category 3.  It seems to be turning northeast.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net