Friday, September 29, 2017

9/29/17 Report - More Storms Brewing? Importance of Shoreline Changes. Rose Colored Gold. New Blog Poll.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Source: Weather Channel
What was I just saying?  I think it was something about people giving up too soon.  Anyhow, there is still a lot of weather that might affect.

Take a look at this.

Latest MagicSeaWeed Prediction for the Fort Pierce Area.
Five to eight feet isn't shabby.  It all depends upon how it hits us.  In the next few days I'll be looking at the predicted wind and swells.

---

Alberto S. sent me the following message.

I haven't done much detecting lately but continue to read your posts everyday and today I saw your comments about coastal change, I went to the link you provided and looked up Miami Beach which is the closest beach to me at this time and what I saw was impressive as far as the change that has taken place over time, the actual coast line back in 1848 is where you find today's famous Ocean Drive. The other item of interest was the beach around the Ft. Pierce inlet specifically the north side vs the south side shore line, the original shoreline based on this information is actually in front of the year 2000 timeline in the South shore and way up in the parking lot area in the North side. Guess if I go up there I will be digging the parking lot.... :) 

Thank you for sharing this information. 

Thanks for writing Alberto.  I was hoping that people would see the value in that web site.

Here is another example from that USGS web site.


Source: USGS Web Site (See yesterday's post.)
Here is a location on Virginia Key where I used to get lots of U. S. silver coins in very good condition.  Whenever the dunes in front of the building would erode, you could find silver coins eroding out of the dunes. You can see that back in the early 1800s, the shoreline was farther out, then in 1900s it varied frequently.

I wasn't really targeting silver U. S. coins that much, but it was fun and easy when conditions were right and I was passing by.

In locations where the shoreline is moving seaward you'll have less chance of finding old items on the beach and in the shallow water, but when the shoreline recedes at that location, you'll have a better chance of finding older items.  Places where the beach is building, such as north of most of our inlets, many older items will get buried under the accumulating sand.  The building and removal of sand has a lot to do with what beaches will produce older items at any particular time.  

I remember back a few decades ago that the beach north of John Brooks was eroded back to very near the condos.  There was a line of pine trees, which were removed.  Now the sand is out a long way from there even though it has erode a little lately.  

There was also an old concrete foundation exposed at the water line between John Brooks and the condos.   I haven't seen it in quite a while.  I don't know if it was for the submarine observation tower or what, but it was there and was very much exposed at one time.

A beach might look like it is eroding, but the erosion might only be into relatively recently accumulated sand.

---

Here is an article that tells how some ancient South American populations that knew how to do gilting and other techniques, actually preferred a more rose-colored gold and removed some of the gold content to get the more copperish look they liked.

Here is the link.

https://www.livescience.com/60535-ancient-colombians-preferred-rose-gold.html

--

As you probably noticed, I added a new blog poll.  It will help us determine how much of what was found as a result of Irma, Jose and Maria.  In order to get good information I need your participation.  I hope you will respond to the poll.  There will be other polls after this one.  I can only do so much in the limited poll app provided by blogspot.  Thanks for responding to the poll.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net