Saturday, September 16, 2017

9/16/17 Report - Beach Conditions and Closures. Pre and Post Irma Metal Detecting. Gold Find Identity.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Guys Detecting Last Sunday
Photo by Trez
The blue bags were uncovered at Vero, as you can see below.

Blue Bags at Vero Sunday
Photo by Trez
---

I recently posted the picture what I called a gold splash that was found this week.  There was a question about its identity.  I got several responses.  Some people thought it could be space debris, some people thought it didn't look like gold at all, but it was acid tested, and I can't remember the other responses right now, but I thought it could have been what I called a small gold splash.  I've found small lumps of melted silver before.  But here is a response that I got that could be it.  

First is the gold lump as it appeared in the photos that were submitted to me.




And below is a very convincing response.
Duane C. said, Just wanted to suggest we find these all the time, usually 14k & 18K. They are melted gold dental crowns. When ashes are distributed on the beach these still exist. They can be found intact or as melted blobs. Just an idea on what they are. Several found here each year...
Duane

Here is the photo Duane sent.



That looks very similar.  That could be it.  Thanks much Duane.

----

I showed a lot of musket balls and pieces of lead that were found.  Here is a good link to a web site about that which Trez sent.




It talks about the various lead varieties,sprues.

---

There seems to be no logic to the beach closure.  Thursday John Brooks was still closed at around 10:30 while Frederick Douglas was closed.  Walton Rocks was closed and a lot of cars were parked outside the gate.

Today Walton Rocks was still closed.

John Brooks looked poor.  The beach front was mushy.

I have some photos, and if I have internet when I go home I'll add some to this post.

That is it for now.

Happy hunting.