Saturday, September 30, 2017

9/30/17 Report - Its Not Over Yet. More Surf To Come. Mayan Monument. Ballast Rock? Worked Bone. Blog Poll.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov
If you are not yet tired of hurricanes and stormy weather, there is still a lot out there to watch.  Hurricanes Maria and Lee are still on the map, but more importantly there are two areas closer to Florida to watch.  One is right over Central Florida and the other, down towards Puerto Rico.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com
As you can see, MagicSeaWeed is predicting a 6 - 9 foot surf for Wednesday and Thursday.  That is a pretty good surf.  I don't care for the predicted wind and swell directions, but at this point all of that  is just a prediction and could change.  That surf is enough to keep my attention.

The tides are very moderate right now too.

---

First M LB* Sports Cards
Discovered in 2015, the two ballplayer panels are the first of their kind to be found in Belize, the researchers said. Both have carvings depicting ballplayers and hieroglyphic captions, and they are thought to date to between about A.D. 600 and A.D. 800, Andres said...

The ballplayer was depicted as standing and holding one hand over his heart.

Researchers said the panels had a sweet smell and there was a pink residue on the panels.

They evidently weren't old enough to know that in the fifties and sixties, baseball cards came in a pack with a big wad of bubblegum.

The first part of this is true - down through the blue text.   The part after that was just me entertaining myself and perhaps a few other oldsters.  If you are old enough to have collected the old bubblegum cards, you would know what I was talking about - otherwise probably not.

Anyhow, if you want to read about the archaeological find, here is the link.

https://www.livescience.com/60552-maya-ballplayer-stone-panels-discovered.html


* MLB indicates Mayan League Ball

---

Possible Ballast Rock.
I posted this stone the other day and labeled it as a ballast rock.  I put a question mark after it because I'm not absolutely sure that is what it is.

First, it is that it is not a type of rock that is natural to Florida.  Here is a link that will take you to a web site that shows the types of rock that are found in Florida.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/geologictopics/rocks/florida_rocks.htm

Second, it would make excellent ballast, being dense and rounded.  Although they would use all kinds of things for ballast, including metal or whatever rocks could be found including more angular rocks, Robert Marx wrote that rounded rocks were preferred.  Rounded rocks were also readily available in rivers near many European ports.

I've seen ballast rocks just like this, and this one did come from a beach very close to a known wreck ballast pile.

It is always possible that it a landscaping or other rock imported to Florida for some other purpose, but in my opinion, weighing all the pros and cons, there is a better chance that it is a ballast rock than an imported ornamental or construction rock that somehow found its way to a beach very near to a ballast pile.

Here is an interesting and relevant article on The Provenance of the Stone Ballast on the Molasses Reef Wreck by William Lamb, 1988.

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/pdf-files/Lamb-MA1988.pdf

---

Piece of Fossilized Bone.
I took a closer look at this piece after it sat around for a few days.  I almost always do that with finds.  I noticed what appears to me to be a rounded cut at the top.  I don't know much about either fossils or Native American artifacts and would like any informed opinions.  I do know that they often made an attempt to get the marrow out of bones, and this bone is hollow, but I don't know if it is natural or worked.

----

I woke up last night after what I thought was the funniest dream.  I was in school.  I just found a desk and sat down.  The teacher, who looked much like my little old lady first grade teacher, came over to my desk and told me to go get a cantaloupe.  I looked at her quizzically, and she said, "Go buy a cantaloupe and bring it back here."   That struck me so funny that I woke up and had a big suppressed belly laugh trying not to wake my wife.  It just seemed so odd and funny to me.  I don't know if you'll find it humorous at all.  I had another very funny dream after that, but I doubt you really want to hear about it.  I guess I'm just in a funny mood.  I hope you can forgive me.  Very entertaining night though.

It must have been those MLB (Mayan League Ball) cards that got me started.

---

All responses to the blog poll are much appreciated.  Thanks.

If you've been watching that, you've seen that some good things were found since this turbulent month began.

---

I wanted to talk more about the changing shoreline, but didn't get it together yet.  Might take some more days.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net