Thursday, September 14, 2017

9/14/17 Report - Treasure Coast Beaches. Gold Splash Find from Space Coast? Jose Still To Make Waves.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of TreasureBeachesReport.blogspot.com.

South Hutchinson Island Wednesday Morning
 This cut was about four feet high.  You can see where the dunes eroded.  You can also see how the shells were piled up.

Beach Tuesday Morning.
You can also see that the convex front beach.  It appears that the beach filled again after the cutting.
There was also a small dip and bar in front of that.

Yesterday Morning on South Hutchinson Island A Little After Low Tide.
---

If you thought that was a lot of musket balls that Jonah and the guys found (See yesterday's post.), that was only about half of it.  There was another picture, that didn't load for me.

Maybe he'll resend the one that I didn't get loaded.

---

Overall I'd only give a Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting Conditions Rating of about a 2 right now.  I only got a chance to check out one beach for myself so I feel very uncertain about my rating.   If the other beaches are better, maybe it should be a 3 rating.

---

There are a lot of places around the state that might actually be better hunting right now, from Miami to Naples to Jacksonville.  I think I mentioned one wreck that was uncovered farther up the East Coast.

---

Dan C. found what appears to be a small gold splash.  Here is the photo.

What Appears To Be A Small Gold Splash.
Photo and find by Dan C.
Here is what Dan had to say.

I wanted to share a unusual find from a "space coast beach"  ...

Today I found 3 rings and a strange nugget of what turned out to be gold.

At first I thought it was a molten droplet of brass, but there was no tarnish.

It was found at the surf line today. Later at home, I tested it as between 14 to 18K gold.
(using a standard gold test kit)

I say between 14 to 18 because 14 K gave no reaction on the test stone rubbing, and 18K produced a mild reaction dissolving VERY slowly) I tried covering the whole thing in acid, and 14K acid gave a light smoke, no discoloration other than perhaps making it look even more gold. 10K acid gave no reaction at all.

I have seen the nugget collection at the Smithsonian, and it doesn't look like any nugget there.
It appears to be a drop of molten gold that solidified suddenly when it hit water.

What on earth could it be ?   Space debris ? Or a real nugget that I am just not familiar with.

Finding the 3 rings (one stainless, one gold 18K with gemstones, one silver) will get me back out there at 6 am tomorrow.

I only did about 1800 square yards in 4 hours using a 17 inch coil , not even 5 percent of the beach.
The sand was pulled away but without any cuts. The beach now simply slopes from base of dunes straight to the water.

Dan C, Orlando

Let me know your thoughts on Dan's find.

---

Hurricane Jose is still out in the Atlantic.  It isn't supposed to make landfall or come close the Florida.  Evidently we're still supposed to get some surf from it.  It looks like maybe 5 - 8 feet on Saturday.  That one should be far enough away that it won't cause so much danger and havoc.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com