Friday, November 5, 2010

11/5 Report - Predictions Look Promising for Improved Beach Conditions



Admiral Gardner Coin Clump for Sale on Ebay.

It's always nice to see a good clump of coins.

I was mentioning yesterday about insulators that you might find. Even if you are hunting shipwreck coins and artifacts, you can cover some expenses by picking up other things.

A few years ago you could get some money from almost any old embossed bottle that you might find. It's not so easy to sell old bottles these days unless they are in a popular collecting category such as Coca Cola bottles. Old Coca Cola bottles still sell easily. I found one nice straight-side Coca Cola bottle, which was my favorite Coke bottle.

You can find a lot of non-metallic things if you keep your eyes open. I mentioned insulators yesterday. Sometimes they are still attached to wire or metal mounting hardware, so can be detected with a metal detector.

Here is a photo of one of those.



You can also find old porcelain dolls or parts that can be easily sold.

I always say it pays to know about a little about a lot of different things. You can easily pass up something ore valuable than what you were looking for if you don't recognize the value of different things.

The first time I picked up some old bottles was after hurricane Andrew. I was hunting silver coins that day, but the bottles, which I noticed floating in the surf, were worth more than the coins that I found. When I notice how old the bottles looked, I found an old plastic bag and started to collect the bottles.

Anyhow, below is a photo of an clay face that I found in the water one day and haven't been able to get any idea of its age or function even though I've posted it various places. From the back, it looks like it was mounted on something flat.



What do you think?

One of the Treasure Coast treasure beach maps is now available on eBay. Item no. 110606933309. These are especially good for those of you who visit the Treasure Coast and don't know all of the beaches.

Forecast and Conditions.

The wind is out of the north/northwest as the cold front comes through. The tides are nice and high.

It looks like things could get good. The seas will be building to about 7.5 feet on Sunday if the surf web sites are right. At that time, Tomas will be heading north and out into the Atlantic.

When we get something near 8 foot seas, it normally causes some improvement. How much improvement will depend upon other factors, but right now it looks very promising.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net