Monday, November 1, 2010

11/1/10 Report - More Sand & Gold Bird From 1715 Fleet Video



Shipwreck Beach South of Fort Pierce This Morning.

The St. Lucie County beaches didn't look very good this morning as you can see from the photo. A lot of sand accumulated on the front beach, which was at some spots very mushy.

I did see one beach that had a very small cut and had a hard packed front, but the sand was still piled pretty high and there weren't many targets.

The water got up to the base of the larger cut that occurred some time ago and the more recent cut was washed over.

If you haven't seen it, here is the ABC coverage of the Fort Pierce gold bird (Pelican in Her Piety) find from the Nieves site.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/sunken-ship-yields-gold-treasure-in-florida-11996287

It doesn't look exactly like a pelican but if you look at the stylized images that follow you can see that many bear a striking resemblance to the found bird.

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=pelican in her piety&v_t=keyword_rollover

I suspect that besides the missing wing, there are other items that would accompany this artifact that hasn't been found yet.

I've posted a lot about sunken ships, of course, but I just had a new experience. I watched a video taken by divers on a sunken ship that for a while I thought my deceased father served on in WWII. It was a small wood minesweeper that literally went around the world and crossed both the Atlantic and Pacific. Wherever the big ships were headed, the minesweepers had already been.

The ship in the video turned out to not be the one my father served, on but was very similar, yet for those few moments of watching the divers video the ship, I couldn't help but thinking about my father once walking the deck of that sunken ship.

As it turns out, he didn't, but other young men, most of whom are now gone, did. That experience was a very personal and moving experience for me, and it reminded me that all of those sunken ships, no matter how long ago they sailed, were once manned by real people with families and dreams. Maybe we should take a moment to really remember and appreciate that fact when we pick up a coin or an artifact on a beach. Remember that those objects are more than simply lumps of wood, iron, silver or gold.

Here is the link if you want to see the video of that sunken ship.

http://www.pugetsounddivers.com/journal/2010/10/2/wwii-minesweeper-yms-105-gypsy-queen.html

Forecast and Conditions.

As I mentioned above, the beaches that I saw today didn't look very good. I don't know if the beaches up north are any better. I suspect not, but I don't know.

The high tides are still nice and high, and the wind is now out of the northeast.

It looks like seas will run about four feet through the week. That isn't very promising, but next weekend it looks like we might get some action. The surf web sites are predicting 7.5 foot seas on Saturday. If that actually happens it could get good - depending upon other factors, of course.

That's it for now.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net