Monday, December 12, 2011

12/12/11 Report - Lots of Rain and a Little Scattered Erosion


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Nieves Site Sunday Morning



It has been very rainy on the Treasure Coast the past two days.  I got soaked Sunday.  When I started detecting it wasn't raining, but when I got a good distance from the car, it poured down.

You need to take your rain gear on days like this.   If you don't have a water proof detector, you need to take something to cover it.

It is also a good idea to have a water proof container for your wallet and any small items that might need protection.  Even when it is not raining, water proofing can be helpful.  You never know when you might get hit by a surprise wave.

Did you ever notice how the ocean likes to hit you when you least expect it.  You can turn your back or put your detector down thinking that you are far enough from the water, and then here it comes.  Splash!

And those deep targets near the water's edge.  You can get almost down to it and then the water then the water decides to come up and fill the hole.

Anyway, it has been very wet all weekend.  As you see in the photo above, there were a few breaks, but then it would rain again.

I don't mind the rain.  At least there wasn't any lightening.

The worst part about the rain for me, is the reduction in visibility.  I like to eye-ball.  Yet, at the same time, the rain does uncover things.

I didn't see anyone else detecting where I was yesterday. I guess they picked a dryer time to get out.

I've mentioned before that the waves are not the only cause of erosion. Yesterday there was some nice rain erosion in the dunes too. I watched the front layer of the dunes sink onto the beach when the dunes got soaked.


Treasure Coast Beach Forecast and Conditions.

The wind is from the east today and the seas are expected to be up around seven feet. That is pretty good, yet lately it hasn't been enough. Most of the beaches are not eroded, but there are some scattered spots where you can find some erosion. Most are where it has been eroded before in the last month or so.

I did find one beach that was eroding yesterday morning. The cuts were small though. I don't know if they continued to erode or not. And, like I said, there was some good rain erosion on some of the dunes.

Unfortunately the angle of the waves is not very good. Mostly hitting the beaches at near a ninety degree angle.

Overall I'll keep my beach conditions rating at a 1 (poor) even though there are a few interesting spots to look at. 

As you might know, my beach conditions rating is based upon the likelihood of finding cobs.  It isn't as poor for finding modern items.

High tide is around 9 o'clock.

It is cloudy this morning, and the forecast is for a 40% chance of rain. I'd give it a better chance along the coast. Take your rain gear.

I'll show some found diamonds tomorrow or soon.


Happy hunting,
Tmailto:TreasureGuide@comcast.net