Friday, December 30, 2011

12/31/11 Report - Happy New Years and Some Past Finds

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Some Metal Detector Finds from the South Florida Area.

Finds and Photo by Lawrence.

These are just a sample of his finds. Lawrence also found the dagger that I mentioned in my 7/25 post.

People don't think of the Miami and Fort Lauderdale areas as being a place to relic hunt, but you can find some old stuff own there. Miami has been a place for ships to stop and get fresh water since the very early days.

Lawrence sent photos of other items that I might show from time to time.

It seems that people publish a lot of lists on New Years Eve. Here are a few items that come to mind for me.

My last gold find in 2011 - the band found yesterday.
My oldest find of 2011 - the Giant Sloth Tooth. Maybe it was actually one of the other fossils, but I know the sloth tooth is millions of years old.
My oldest cob find of 2011 - Mexican half reale of the Carlos era.
Most valuable find of 2011 - Rolex watch.
Most regrettable find of 2011 - hash pipe.

Overall 2011 didn't yield many cobs. But I think it is when things are difficult that you probably learn the most.

I don't think I issued a beach conditions rating as high as a four all year. If I did, it was for a very short time.

There were a few cobs dug on the Treasure Coast beaches this year though. More spikes and other artifacts than cobs.

Here is the fossilized peccary tooth that I briefly mentioned yesterday. At least that is what I think it might be. Fred D. will probably be able to tell me for sure.





Did you notice how nice Lawrence's silver looks? One of the bad things about detecting ocean beaches is the damage that the salt water does to silver. Silver found inland, even in lakes and streams, are usually in much nicer condition. I actually like the effect that the northern cold water lakes have on silver.


Treasure Coast Beach Detecting Forecast and Conditions.

Conditions remain essentially unchanged.

The wind is out of the west and the seas are running down around one or two feet. A good time to check the low tide areas.

When the cold front passes through, the seas will get up around five feet again. We'll have to see what that does.

Happy New Year.
TreasureGuide@comcast.net