Monday, December 26, 2011

12/27/11 Report - The Mantola & Value of Test Targets


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Wreck of the Mantola.



The Mantola was sunk by a German torpedo off Ireland in 1917 with 20 tons of silver valued at more the $18 million today.

Odyssey Marine has been contracted by the British Department of Transport to do the salvage work.

As you may know, they also have a contract with the British to salvage the silver laden Gairsoppa.

It seems they have a lot going on.

Here is the link to the article about the find, which also provides the above photo.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=27691955

This could in part account for the nice increases in the share price of Odyssey Marine stock (OMEX) over the last week or so.


I was reminded once again how good it is to carry a few test targets. You won't always find the same ground conditions. If you have some good test targets with you, you can always adjust your settings for the conditions you find.

Yesterday I was working a vacant lot. The lot had tons of trash and huge rebars and other iron under much of the lot. The detector I usually use in situations like that had low batteries, so I decided to use a detector that I usually use at the beach. To see how it would react under those conditions, I used a few test targets and quickly found out how those types of targets would sound under those conditions. It really helped and I was glad I had the test targets with me.

It would not be a bad idea to routinely use test targets to adjust your detector to the optimal settings for the conditions where you are hunting.



Speaking of conditions - there was a lot of mushy sand on the beaches that I saw today. And the surf was rougher than I expected. In fact a lot of surfers were out taking advantage of the nicely formed waves.

The beach fronts were steep, but mushy. There was some scalloping,(see photos below) but even there the sand was very mushy.




Tomorrow the seas will be about the same as today. Then Thursday and Friday a bit calmer.

I'm not expecting any real improvement in conditions real soon. You might, though, be able to find some recent drops. A lot of people went to the beach on Sunday and Monday.

I briefly hunted one heavily over-hunted beaches this morning, just to see what it was like, and still managed to find some deep coins that had been missed.

There is a little stirring going on. I'd check the beach fronts when the seas actually calm down.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net