Friday, December 30, 2011

12/30/11 Report - A Big Clump, Sunken Plane, Ships Under Sand & Pigs Teeth


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

14K Band Beach Find.

This is the type of thing that is being reported these days from the Treasure Coast. More modern jewelry than older stuff.

I guess we are in the tourist season. And the beaches have been too sandy to find very many old items.



The wrecks of two 19th Century American whaling ships have been discovered below a beach in Western Australia.

Here is the link to the video.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-28/story-4/3750362

You never know what might be under all that sand.


I thought this was a bit unusual. I never saw a modern bottle in a clump like this before. I'm sure it isn't that unusual, but it was for me.

The bottle is a vintage Royal Crown cola bottle. Other pieces of glass besides the bottle, shells and other things can also be seen sticking out of the clump.

It is always a good idea to thoroughly check out any clumps. You never know what might be in there. I've seen silver cobs stuck to iron spikes, for example.


A WWII era Navy plane was recently discovered by divers about four miles east of Jupiter in a couple hundred feet of water. The Navy says don't touch it.

Here is the link to the story.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/aviation-enthusiasts-work-to-identify-plane-found-in-2053582.html?printArticle=y


Wild Pig Jaw.

Something else a bit unusual. I've never seen one of those on a beach before.

I was interested in it because I recently picked up a fossil tooth that I thought might be a peccary tooth so I figured this gave me a good chance to see what modern pig teeth look like.

I'll post possible peccary tooth someday soon. Fred D. will probably be able to tell me if that is what it is.



The wind is from the northeast and the seas are pretty calm and will remain that way through the weekend.

I'd hunt the beach fronts while the seas are down.

A cold front will be coming through soon and the seas will begin to increase again by Monday.


Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net