Friday, October 12, 2012

10/12/12 Report - Tropical Storm Patty & Beach Conditions Upgrade


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


I wanted to get the upgrade posted this morning, so I'm just doing a quick post.


Three Foot Cut on One Treasure Coast Beach This Morning

I got out to take a look at a couple of beaches this morning and at one beach found two to three foot cuts running for a few hundred yards.   The other beach was not cut at all.   You'll have to look around a little to find the beaches that did erode.

Even though this one beach was cut, it was not productive.   The cut was high on the beach, and then there was a lot of sloping sand below the cut.   Not the best conditions, yet things have improved enough that I would bet there would be a few (I should say very few) cobs found in the next few days.

I'm upgrading my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting Conditions Rating to a 2.  It is a minimal upgrade, and if I used fractional numbers, I might call it a 1.5.

If you are new to this blog, I use a 5 point scale, with 1 indicating poor conditions for finding shipwreck cobs and treasure coins on the beach, and a 5 indicating excellent conditions.

We have Tropical Storm Patty out east of the Bahamas.  She isn't expected to remain a tropical storm very long though and is heading back east.


Tropical Storm Patty (NOAA)

The seas are a little rough today, but only three foot swells according to the surf web sites.

It looks like the seas will increase to a peak of five to seven feet on Sunday.

I mentioned in my most recent post that the wind has been coming from the north, and that is still the case.

Wind direction and the angle that the waves hit the beach is as important as wave height in determining erosion and detecting conditions.  The wind is coming from a good direction, but the seas aren't as high as is normally required for much improvement.

Not all beaches will show improvement today.  You'll have to look around for the better spots.

Well, I think that is it for now.  Like I said, I wanted to get this upgrade posted.  I'll keep an eye on developments through the week and into the weekend.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net