Tuesday, October 9, 2012

10/9/12 Report - Treasure Hunter's Benefit Cookout & Blog Poll Results






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You probably know about the annual treasure hunter's cookouts.  Well, this is a treasure hunter's cookout, but more importantly, it is a benefit.  And promises to be a lot of fun.   Put it down on your calendar now.

The food will be ready about 1 PM and activities continuing through the afternoon.

Just to be clear.   I am not John but am posting his flyer in this blog.  Contact John with any questions.


The most recent blog poll has concluded and the results are in.

The sample size is over 100.  That is pretty good.

Of those responding to the poll, the vast majority, 75%, have not yet found their first shipwreck cob or treasure coin, so if you haven't found your first, don't feel bad, you are not alone.

It can take a while.   A big part of it is being there at the right time.  That is why I post a conditions report.  If the conditions for finding treasure coins on the beach are poor, as they often are (we've certainly seen that lately), it doesn't matter what detector you use or how good you are.   There are times when the coins are accessible on the beach and times when they aren't.  

My first few trips to the Treasure Coast, years and years ago, I didn't find any either.   I wondered what was wrong, and didn't think I'd ever find one.  Then finally I did.   I remember it clearly.  

And then there were other times when several were found within a few minutes.  That is the way it is.  Sometimes they are there, and sometimes not.   Again, that is why I started the blog and why I give a beach conditions report - to help you know when the chances are better.  And to help you know when it might be worth a trip to the Treasure Coast.

Obviously my reports aren't perfect.  But I am sure they will help you to maximize your chances.  Conditions have been poor for quite a while, with few exceptions, and  not many treasure coins have been found in the last year. 

I've reported poor conditions a lot lately.  We haven't had really good hunting for nearly two years now, if I correctly recall.   There was an October when I gave a level four (out of 5) conditions rating.  I don't think I've done that again since, or if I did, I don't recall.  And we see that only 1% of the respondents report their most recent treasure coin being found in the last six months, and another 1% between six months and a year.

9% however report that there most recent treasure coin find came between one to two years ago.

I think the poll results are informative, and also that my conditions ratings are fairly accurate due to the low percentage of people making their most recent find in the last year.

Just to round out the results, 4% of the respondents reported their most recent treasure coin find was 2 to 5 years ago, an 7% as long ago as 5 to 8 years.

There are several things I don't know about the sample.  I don't know, for example, how many respondents hunt only on the Treasure Coast.  I also didn't identify salvage divers.  Working with blowers, you have a chance of finding shipwreck coins anytime, in fact mostly during the calm summer months when beach conditions are the poorest. So we certainly must  recognize that the poll has limitations that need to be taken into account.

Nonetheless I think the results are interesting and informative.  Thanks for responding.


One correction I need to make.  Yesterday I suggested a method for mounting finds for display.  Fred Dengler, a fossil expert who often helps me out with good information, says you should never use an adhesive to mount a fossil.  I am sure he is right.  It can damage the surface of the fossil.   Thanks Fred!


Tomorrow I'll show a rare and unusual Treasure Coast shipwreck find.


Treasure Coast Beach  Detecting Forecast and Conditions

Things haven't changed much lately.  It's almost like we are back to mid-summer conditions.  Too much of those south winds.

The beaches are generally sandy, with a few shell piles here and there.

A few miscellaneous older finds are being made in areas around shell piles, but nothing real real interesting - mostly what I would call secondary or tertiary targets.

As I've been saying lately, we often get a good October or November northeaster, and hopefully one will occur this year.  We sure could use it.


Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net