Tuesday, March 12, 2013

3/12/13 Report - Recent Finds


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Silver and Onyx Mystery Object
Photo and find by Bill H.
First I wanted to show this very interesting find made by Bill H. on Sunday.   

Here is Bill's description.   Two Onyx stones. Silver, however there are 5 or six beveled gold spots, three on the small end of the object and 4 or more around the large base. Length is about 2.25 inches. The silver is pretty beat up but the onyx is scratch free. 

I'd like to hear any ideas you might have about the object.  Bill would like to know what it is and so would I.  Notice the opening in the middle bar close to the large circle.  I'll hold my ideas for now.

What do you all think?


Photo of find by William M.
And here is another find.  Do you know what it is?

I'll give you the answer William gave me below.

Hint:  It is not metal.



The surf on the Treasure Coast was 5 - 7 feet today, decreasing to 4 - 6 feet tomorrow.  It will be decreasing on a steady basis until it is down around 1 -2 feet this weekend.

The waves were still really crashing.  A lot of sand got moved -  not so much erosion, but still sand was moved.

Some of the dunes were eroded by the high water at John Brooks, especially where the water that got to the back beach ran off.

I meant to take a photo of that but somehow forgot.

With the south winds some of the beaches showed building.   I saw a foot or more of new sand on some of the beach fronts today. 

Stumps and other stable items make good measuring sticks to keep track of the build up and loss of sand.

Also. some beaches had some nice shell piles worth searching for fossils and things.

Speaking of fossils, did you figure out the item pictured here.   It is a fossilized whale tooth.

Nice find William!

Also, copper and things can be found on some of the beaches at low tide now. 

The wind has switched and is now coming form the west.

Looked like some nice surfing waves around low tide today (around 3:30 PM).


I'm not expecting any improvement in beach detecting conditions now.  Probably slow deterioration instead.   But I'm sticking with a 2 on my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting Conditions Rating Scale.

It is a five-point scale, with 1 indicating poor conditions and 5 indicating excellent detecting conditions.

As the surf decreases, you'll get a chance to check the low tide areas a little better.

Some of the silver I found the other day has some of the most stubborn crust that I have ever seen.  Over night in acid didn't do much to it.  That crust is really tough.

That's it for now.  I did think I had some more photos for you from today, but again, it seems I forgot to take them.

Let me know if you know what the find at the top of the blog is or even have any ideas about it.  


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net