Tuesday, June 25, 2013

6/25/13 Report - Indian Artifact, Token, Gold Ring, and Lead Sinker Finds & More


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

I thought I'd post a variety of different types of finds today.  Indian artifacts,a trade token, hand-made lead sinker, and finally an older gold ring.  All are things that I'd like to receive more information about.  Let me know if you have any additional ideas about any of them.

Here is the first.


Couple of Nice Found Artifacts

These two are from up North.  I told you that I took a little trip up north.  Larry P. lives up there and really knows his Indian artifacts and has found some real nice examples, including the copper point and necklace that I once showed.  These are a couple more of his finds.  I don't know a great deal about them.  Maybe you can add some details.  I do know just by looking at them that they are very nice examples.

Lead Sinker.

The lead sinker is obviously hand made.  The only thing that makes it interesting is that I have no idea how old it might be.  Everything about it is crude.

It was found yesterday.

Tivoli Trade Token
The trade token was found on a Florida beach back some time ago.  It is a trade token from Tivoli, I guess Tivoli Gardens Amusement Park in Denmark, which was started in 1843.   That means it could possibly be old, but my impression of the base metal is that it is not real old.

The other side is the same.

We have so many tourists in Florida that finds from over seas are not uncommon.

If you can narrow down the age or anything, let me know.  I think the 25 might be a unit of value, and Hemminsen might be a street or area.

Recent 14K Find.

The above ring is not marked but was acid tested as being 14K.  It is very much in the style of a class ring of the early 20th Century.  I'd say 1940s or earlier.

I don't know what either the B or the background for the B signifies.  It looks like it is on a scroll, and I don't know what the other thing is.  It is a recent beach find.

Again, if you have ideas or information, let me know.

One of my main points today is that there are quite a variety of types of things you can hunt.  The research after the find can be informative and a lot of fun.

Different areas provide different opportunities.  It helps to specialize in hunting the type of thing that you can find not too far from your home.

You can find different types of things anywhere, especially near beaches.  It therefore is a good idea to have some familiarity with a variety of types of treasure.  Not all of them are metallic, so keep your eyes open while you detect.


On the Treasure Coast we're expected to have a 2 - 3 foot surf again.  The low tides were very nice and low yesterday.  It was -.9, which is pretty good.  Expect about the same today.  These low tides around the time of the Super Moon provide unusually good low tide zone and water hunting opportunities.

With the current Treasure Coast conditions, there are plenty of shells, a good chance to see some fossils, sea glass and other lighter materials.

The surf will be decreasing just a touch the next few days.

The wind continues out of the southeast.  Don't expect much of any change in beach conditions real soon.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net