Tuesday, June 4, 2013

6/4/13 Gold Lion Ring With Mouth Full, Looter Archaeologist, Relics & More



Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



Gold Lion Ring Found on Treasure Coast
I added a poll to the blog.  Hopefully it will work right this time.  It looks like it so far.  It will give us some information about what people have been finding this year.


A few weeks ago I showed a gold lion ring that was found on a local beach.  The clear stone from it's mouth was missing.  Here is a lion ring that looks just like the other except the stone in the mouth is still present.  Interesting coincidence.

It isn't really that much of a coincidence.  Some types of rings are very common.  The lion style is one of those.  But this one is not only a lion, but the same exact ring design.



One type of email that I sometimes receive asks what beach to go to and where on the beach to look to find a treasure coin.  You don't want me to take all of the fun out of it, do you?

I tell you as much as I can in my posts without telling too much.  There are a variety of ways I can tell too much.  If I say one particular beach is best, that wouldn't work out well.  Everybody would go there and quickly ruin it.  There would be too many people at that beach, it would be over hunted, and it would not be fair to those who put in the time or managed to find the right beach.  Also, there might be another beach that is just as good that I might not even know about.  I wouldn't want to tell everybody to go to one place when there might be an even better place.  Therefore there are a variety of reasons that I won't tell you to go to one specific beach - my not knowing what every beach is doing at all times, is one of those reasons.

Also, hunting cobs is fairly complicated, or at least it seems that way to me, and that is why I have years of posts on the subject.  And, if I could tell you exactly where to go, that would take all of the fun and challenge out of it.

I don't know where to go on any particular day myself, until I go out and take a look.  I have my thoughts on the subject, and they do help, but I have to go out and look around and then try to figure out what is going on, but still I can easily miss a good spot.  I can't be everywhere.

I do appreciate the photos and reports that I get from other people.  Since I can't be everywhere myself, that really helps me get a more complete picture and give better information.

Sometimes none of the beaches are producing cobs.  That is pretty often and why I often have a "1" or "poor" beach detecting conditions rating.  Of course, my ratings are not 100% accurate and even under the best conditions, you can't be guaranteed that you will put your coil over a cob.

Over the years I have improved my success rate dramatically, but there is still some guess work, and a lot of challenge and work and hunting is involved, as well as some luck.

I often tell people to get out there and scout around.  One beach might be producing, but another might be producing even more, and any beach produces cobs only a relatively few days a year.

When I started this blog I took some heat from old timers who had to learn without all of this help.    They said I shouldn't give away the secrets and that everyone should have to pay their dues.  They are right about paying your dues.  There is no way around it.  You can't avoid it.   I can tell you things, but you still have to go out and try it and make it your own.   You have to try it and apply it before you really get it.  And learning by experience is half of the fun.

When I first hunted the Treasure Coast, I had to drive over two hours to get here.  I don't know how many trips it took before I finally found my first cob, but I know it was quite a few.  I didn't think I was ever going to find one.  Then I did.  Since that time, I've learned a lot and have increased my success rate a lot.

Cobs don't appear all the time and you can't be sure of finding one even during the best beach conditions.   It is very much about beach conditions and reading the beaches.  If you've been reading this blog very long, I think you should have gathered that by now.  There is no easy magic formula for finding a treasure coin - just some information that can increase your chances and make it a little quicker and easier.



Here are some relics from the American Revolution to be sold by Sothebys.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2013/revolutionary-war-selling-exhibition-n08993/overview.html



A professional archaeologists was sentenced for stealing artifacts from a dig site.

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/LocalPages/NewsDetails.aspx?nsid=27503&t=1&lid=3

I was tempted to say, that is unusual because they usually get away with it, but I won't.


On the Treasure Coast we're down to a  1 - 2 foot surf now.  That probably means the beaches will be building.  I downgraded my Treasure Coast Beach Detecting Conditions Rating yesterday to a 1 (poor).

If I have the opportunity, I'll be checking the low tide zones where coins showed up a few days ago, but where the water was too rough to work.

The low tide will be a little negative, -0.1, and the amplitude is not very large.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net