Wednesday, June 18, 2014

6/18/14 Report - Salvage Vessel at Cocoa, Mucking, Class Ring Found On Old Shipwreck Returned and Stamp Worth Nearly 10 Million


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Salvage Vessel  Working Up At Cocoa
Photo by John Morgan

John Morgan sent me this picture and email message.

Hi Treasure Guide,
At 8:25 AM  6/18/2014 I spotted a treasure salvage boat with blowers down outside on my balcony at 16th south Cocoa Beach.
They are 1/3 mile offshore...


John heard Josh Fisher talking on a podcast about a wreck of the 1715 Fleet that they thought was around Cape Canaveral.


Thanks for the information and report John!  Nice photo too!




Do you know the difference between this blog and some of the others?  This one is all about you.  I'd rather post your finds, reports and information than mine.

I'm not trying to get attention or sell you anything.  Not even trying to make money off of clicks by advertising.  No ads here.  I just pass along information.

The thing that makes me happiest is when the information that I post helps other people and I hear about that.  One person recently sent me an email and said his finds have about doubled since he began reading this blog.  That is the kind of thing I like to hear.

Another reader recently said that as a direct result of one of my tips, he looked where he never would have looked and found two high quality rings.

I do enjoy researching and analyzing and passing along what I learn.  I was a researcher in academia for a lot of years, and I enjoyed it.  I also enjoy analyzing things and learning, as well as sharing what I learn.  That is why I do this blog.

Typical Sandy Treasure Coast Beach This Morning Near Low Tide 

Here is one typical Treasure Coast beach as I found it this morning.

I have pictures of other beaches from this morning, but they all look pretty much the same.  

In the picture above. towards the right you can see slight remains of an old cut (right of the ATV tracks), and all of that sand in front has washed up since.  You can see the last high tide line.

If you are detecting on the Treasure Coast now, during these sandy conditions, your best bet is recent drops. There is a lot of sand.  Even recent drops are sinking or being covered quickly, both in the water and in the wet sand area.

The renourishment projects added a lot of sand to our beaches too.  Much of the renourishment project sand has been dragged into the shallow water, where it extends out quite a few yards.

I did a little detecting in front of a small hotel this morning where the renourishment was.   I ran loose scan pattern to find any concentrations, then I focused on one small area but only came up with coins.  I don't remember getting anything but coins there - no trash at all.

I then moved on and did some mucking at another beach that had been replenished recently and has been eroding. The sand that was brought in has a lot of torn aluminum in it.  I detected in front of a cut there even though I knew I would find tons of aluminum trash.  

By "mucking" I mean detecting a very trashy where I figured there would be a few good targets. 

The area where I was mucking had about ten aluminum targets to every non aluminum targets, at least that is how it seemed, although I did not keep track exactly, yet it took less than a half hour to find a ring.  Come to think of it, there was only one coin found in that mess, and about a half dozen other non-aluminum targets, plus the ring.  

There is a trick to mucking.  Read the pattern of trash to find the areas where other kinds of targets are most likely to be found.    I should have taken some pictures of that area so I could explain the technique better.  Basically, you analyze the pattern of junk, both laterally and depth, and it will point you to where you might find better things.  There is no escaping digging the trash though.  The trash is what will tell you how things are distributed, and therefore, where to go.

Mucking takes patience.   But it will often pay off.

 ---------------------------------------

I show them all the time - rings that are found and returned to the owner.   A 1972 class ring was found by a treasure salvage crew off of Vero and returned to the owner who last saw the ring when it was stolen form his apartment in Miami some 40 years ago.

Here is the link to that story.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-indian-river-county/vero-beach/tcoast-treasure-hunters-find-class-ring-missing-for-40-years


---------------------------------------

One cent stamp sold for $9.5 million.  Here is the link for that story.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/Rare-Postage-Stamp-Sells-for-Millions/283452995508/Comcast/Today_in_Video/?cid=hero_sf_TIV


-------------------------

On the Treasure Coast we'll have about a one-foot surf for several days.  That won't change the sandy conditions we have.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net