Thursday, December 17, 2015

12/17/15 Report - South Wind Brought Heat and Sand To The Treasure Coast Beaches. Metal Detector Advertised Return Policy.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

I went out to visit a particular spot that was recently cut.  I had to walk about a mile to get there.  When I got there I saw two feet of new sand filling up the dip.  I did find a large piece of copper sheathing.  It was near the surface along with some shells.

Cuts can happen really quickly and they can disappear just as quickly.

John Brooks and Frederic Douglas had even more new sand today.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  It looked like we were back to mid-summer beach conditions.  There were a lot of shells near the high tide line.

The surf is down to around one foot today and tomorrow.  It will increase again this weekend, possibly up to as much as six feet.  The wind will also be shifting again.  I'm glad about that.  That south wind that has brought such hot December weather also dumped a lot of sand on our beaches.

I can't believe I was sweating on the beach in December.

I didn't get any pictures today.  I had to recharge my camera batteries.

---

If you are thinking about a new metal detector for Christmas, one of the large mail order metal detector companies is advertising a hassle-free 30 day return policy.  Excluded were certain high-end models.

I'm always skeptical of ads, and I'm not sure how hassle-free it would actually be if you really tried to return a detector after thirty days.

One ad that is very misleading is Tesoro's life-time guarantee.  They actually won't repair your detector after they determine it is "obsolete."  I have two Tesoro detectors that have, according to them, out-lived the lifetime guarantee.  So as far as I'm concerned that life-time guarantee is a dishonest hoax.

Back to the 30 day hassle-free return policy.

The requirements specified in the ad are as follows.

  • Most hobby metal detectors are eligible for a full refund, exchange or store credit if returned within 30 days of purchase. All professional line metal detectors such as commercial, industrial and security machines are not eligible for return. These non-returnable detectors include (but are not limited to) the following brands; JW Fishers, Lorenz, OKM, Tesoro, Fisher Research Labs, Blisstool, Minelab GPZ 7000 & all GPX Models, Nokta Professional Units and Aquascan Aquapulse.

  • Metal detector must be returned in its original packaging with all manufacturer accessories and promotional items. (Free accessories, giveaway products, promotional items, BOGOs and special offers). Customers will be charged "full sale price" for all missing or damaged accessories, giveaway products, promotional items, BOGOs and special offers. All items must be in working order and include the manufacturer’s original blank warranty and instruction manual. No damage to the machine and/or any of the accessories including no dents, scratches, rips and tears etc.

  • Returns must be made within 30 days of purchase date. A Return Authorization Number is required prior to shipping any product back for a refund.

  • Refunds will be issued to the same credit/debit card, gift certificate or other form of payment that was used at the time of the original transaction.

  • Customer will be responsible for all return shipping, handling and insurance fees.

If it is determined that the returned metal detector has been damaged, contains missing parts and/or accessories then the customer may be subject to a repacking service fee of up to 30% of the machine’s retail value.

You can probably guess the name of the company.

I strongly suggest trying out a detector or getting a good live demonstration before buying a detector especially if you are new to detecting or don't know much about the detector you are buying.  If the return policy is really "hassle free" that could make me feel much easier about a purchase decision.

If any of you have trouble making returns, let me know and I'll post it so others know about it.

---

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net