Wednesday, January 25, 2017

1/26/17 Report - Jupiter Inlet Beach and A Recent Hunt. A Few Common Mistakes. What You Don't Dig Can Hurt You.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Beach at Jupiter Inlet
Photos by Joe D.

Joe D. sent me the following report and the pictures of Jupiter that are shown above and below.

I hit Jupiter inlet area today just before low tide as front came through! South of inlet much the same as your report today, and a previous report! Cliff was eroded by wind and people only, no water erosion to improve conditions! But for shallow water hunting, There was a nice trough and flat water! 

 Hunted beach area for about an hour and was getting sandblasted from West wind! With little luck due to new sand, opted to try a few other areas nearby that I have been wanting to try out! But without the wind, would be unbearable due to no-seeum's!

 Almost all my finds came from a tidal mangrove area that is very trashy; unlike beach, which is hunted regularly! I had to work for my finds as you can see! (Pic) Interestingly, nearly all the coins i found were from the 70's and looked like they had been there awhile! Also fits with the age progression of the pop tabs I dug! ( as you have said, trash can teach!) One tab was interesting because it had a root growing through it when dug!

 Also threw in a few other pics of the lighthouse, and Dubois house! Anyone looking at historical pics of the Dubois house would notice that the waterway ran nearly up to the house! Which not only sits on a large shell mound, but is also high up a bank near former location of inlet, which is to the south of it's current location! All the land and park in front of it was added when they rerouted the inlet! (Note: No detecting in Dubois Park due to "historical" nature; but not posted!)

Thanks much for the photos and report Joe!

Root Growing Through Pull Tab.
Photo by Joe D.



Finds From Recent Jupiter Hunt.
Photo by Joe D.

Dubois House
Photo by Joe D.

Jupiter Inlet Shipwreck Historic Marker.
Photo by Joe D.
Thanks again Joe!
---

On January 16 I did a post on memorable mistakes that I've made.  It was a popular post.  The mistakes that I mentioned fall into a few basic categories:  (1) not paying enough attention to a dug item in the field to get the significance of the item,  (2) not keeping an item when you don't know for sure what it is, (3) not digging carefully enough, (4) not being careful enough when you clean an item, and (5) not storing an item properly.

There  is at least one other category that probably should be included:  not digging a good item.  Of course, you don't know it at the time, but when you don't dig items you don't know what you left.  I'll bet a lot of what would have been your very best finds, were left in the ground.

The thing about the very best finds is that they are rare.  You don't expect to dig a Rolex watch or a 40 pound silver bar everyday.  It doesn't happen that often, and when you hear the signal, you probably won't know what it is until you dig it.  No detector that I know of has a reading "Rolex Watch" or "40 Pound Silver Bar."  Many detectorists miss great items like that simply because they do not dig items when they don't know what they are.

An eight reale can sound a bit like a tin can, so if you are accustomed to not digging things that sound too big to be a coin, there is a chance that you left something very good like that in the ground.  Things like that you won't regret not digging because you'll never know for sure what it was.

There might be some class of desirable items that you are not digging.  Early in my detecting, I wasn't getting small gold rings.  I've told this before, but I thought that women didn't lose as many rings as men.  Later I found out the that the reason that I was getting more men's rings than women's rings was because I was using discrimination and missed a lot of the more valuable small and valuable women's rings.  I was glad that it didn't take me too long to learn that.

It also took me a long time to find any shipwreck spikes.  I am certain that I would have found some sooner if I had not been skipping larger iron targets.  In those days I was targeting modern gold jewelry. The fact is that how you hunt will determine to some extent what you find, but it will also determine what you do not find.  Review your finds to see if there might be a reason you are not finding some of the types of thing you would really like to find.

---

Think about what I posted from Joe D.  Is there a spot near a beach that you regularly hunt that might contain more targets than the beach that you hunt on a regular basis?  That can be worth thinking about. Sometimes there are good areas that nobody hunts that are very close to heavily over-hunted areas.

---

The next few days we'll have more smooth west winds and smooth surf.  No change in beach conditions.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net