Friday, September 7, 2012

9/7/12 Report - Sounding Lead, Shark Tooth & Other Finds


Written by the treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



William M. found this shark tooth.   In my 1/20/2010 post, I posted a shark tooth identification guide.  If you look at that guide, you'll see that this tooth is from a Sand Shark. 

Find and photo by William M.
To find the identification guide, simply go back to the 1/20/10 post, or enter "shark tooth" in the search box on this blog.

The search box will take you through years of information that has been posted in this blog.

Yesterday I posted a photo of a few articles recently fond in the Keys and asked if anyone had any ideas about what the lead item might be.  I had an idea, but it was only idea, and I wasn't very sure of it.

I received an email from John L., whose nautical expertise made quick work of identifying the Wilcox Crittenden strap and ring in my 6/15 post.  John thinks it could be what I would call a sounding weight for determining the depth of water.  That was my first thought as well.

John also sent the following link to a nautical history web site that describes the construction and use of lead lines.   The web site has some good photos of lead lines.  Take a look.

http://www.navyandmarine.org/planspatterns/soundingline.htm

You might also want to go to the main page of this web site and browse around.  

http://www.navyandmarine.org

You'll find a lot of good nautical history information.


Someone else emailed me asking if I could help identify some finds.   I can't guarantee success, but I'll generally try.  If I can't do it, very often one of this blog's readers can.

Some finds are easier to identify than others.   A lump of lead without any markings, for example, would be very difficult to identify as anything other than a lump of lead.  The more complete the item is and the more markings or clues it has, the better the chance of success.  Also, good photos help.  If you send fuzzy photos of one view of an object, the chance of success is reduced significantly.


Finds and photo by Bernie C.
Bernie C. has been making a lot of finds.  Here are some, including a lot of fossils and coins.




Leslie and Michael are both staying far away from us and are headed into the North Atlantic, while a stationary low pressure are near New Orleans has a 30% chance of becoming a cyclone.  It could head back our way.

According  to the surf web sites, we may get five or so days of 5 to 7 foot seas.  While predicted peak seas are slightly reduced, the length of time that we'll have high seas is increased.  The cumulative effect of days of rough seas could be good depending upon the angles and other factors.  One key thing to watch for is the change in wind direction.   I think it was Tuesday when the wind is supposed to change from South to North/Northeast.   I would like to see days of North/Northeast winds.

Low tide will be around 7:30 PM today.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net