Thursday, December 26, 2013

12/25/13 Report - The Night After Christmas and The Next Day on the Beach


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Flagler Beach Yesterday.

Since I was derelict in my duties yesterday, I'll post this incomplete post just to get you started today.  I'll be back a bit later with more up-to-date info on the Treasure Coast beaches in just a little while.

First, here is a photo of Flagler beach from yesterday.


Now that Santa's big red bag is empty and the colorful wrapping paper, now crumpled and torn, waits for Waste Management's big green truck, Silent Night has become dead silence in the middle of the night, Father Time waits in the wings, and Baby New Year too. The beat goes on like the endless tides.

That is the kind of writing you get from someone who just woke up in the middle of the night not being able to remember what he dreamed two seconds ago.  Another mixed bag.  Right now, I like it - whatever It is.

I want to thank those of you who wrote to say Merry Christmas or Thank You or who had other witty comments.  You put a smile on my face.

I couldn't believe how many people saw the video I posted showing a childhood Christmas back in the day.  Even people that don't metal detect or read this blog found it without me mentioning it or saying anything about it.  My nephew from New York saw it on Facebook where it was reposted by some of the other kids in the video.  That amazed me.  The internet is pervasive.  What will they think of next?

The video was made in the mid-fifties on 8 mm film and then more recently converted to DVD.  There are companies that make a business of converting film to DVD.   You might consider doing that if you have any old home movies around.

I've been hearing from a lot of people from other areas lately.  Its the time of year when snowbirds start  dreaming of Florida beaches while pieces of eight dance in their heads.

I received a couple of books that I'm sure will get quoted in this blog in the future.  And some other things that will contribute to my posts. 

I don't know if you've seen Prospectors on the Weather Channel.  It is now one of my favorite shows.


A prehistoric burial gound known as The Windover Archaeological Site, which was discovered in 1982 near Titusville, has been purchased by The Archaeological Conservancy, to conserve the site.  The site contains some very rare treasures, including 168 well preserved skeletons going back to the Early Archaic period.

Here is the link for more on that story.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/23/windover-bog/4146659/


A day late, but you might enjoy this history of the Christmas tree.

http://catholicexchange.com/the-history-of-the-christmas-tree



I got out to take a look at the beach this morning.  I only looked at a couple of Treasure Coast beaches, but was disappointed what I saw.

One Treasure Coast Beach This Morning.
Christmas Eve I mentioned that the wind was blowing strong out of the North, but it seems it didn't help.  I looked at a couple of beaches this morning and the most erosion I saw was a maximum of six inches in some spots.  Although I only saw a couple of beaches, I didn't see anything very promising.  Conditions remain poor.



Here is one photo showing the type of thing I saw this morning.

Maybe there are better beaches somewhere.  You would hope.

Happy hunting,
TreaureGuide@comcast.net