Tuesday, December 31, 2013

12/31/13 New Years Eve Top TBR Posts of 2013 & Potosi Cob Close-up


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


As you might know I have some new equipment that I'm working with that allows me to produce better close-up views of coins and things.

Half Reale From Jupiter Beach Years Ago.


I was looking through some cobs online that were described as having sharp details.  I couldn't believe what they were describing as being "sharp."  They were poor.

Here is one that has what I would think are sharp details.  And it is a beach find.  Many beach finds, as I've shown, are very corroded.

This one was found years ago at Jupiter Beach.  I've shown it before, but I was able to get a better photo with my new equipment.

When found, the side with the monogram was covered with a thick sand conglomerate.  That turns out to be a blessing.  The conglomerate actually protected the cob and when the sand crust was removed, it turned out beautiful.

Unlike the half reals that I most recently posted, this one is not from the Mexico mint.  I've had a hard time deciding if it is from Lima or Potosi.  I'm leaning towards Potosi even though I've been told by a very knowledgeable person otherwise.

If you look at the horizontal bar between the P and S, it looks to me like the die was recut.  When a die would wear out, they would sharpen up the details.

Also, you can see what appears like a double eight at the bottom of the cob.  That is actually the ending S in Phillipus.  And you can see the Roman number III right after it.  So this one is from the era of Philip III.

The S appear to have been recut, but not in the right location so that when the die was used it appears like a double imprint.

My guess on this one is 1621 or 1622.  Can't tell for sure.

If you can add anything or straighten me out on this, please do.





Everybody does a top ten list for the end of the year.  I won't do a top ten list, but I'll do a top eight list. 

I took a look through this years posts to see which ones were the most viewed.  According to the Google statistics, some had many times the number of views than others.

Here are the eight most viewed TBR posts of 2013.

1.  9/13/1.  This post had thousands of views by itself and stood out as the most viewed post by far.  It was posted when there were two hurricanes in the Atlantic simultaneously.  It also presented the Kovel's list of most searched collectibles.

2.  10/24/13.  This post also had thousands of views.  It featured a 1715 gold rosary found years ago by the crew of the Virgalona.

3.  9/28/13.  This post featured beach conditions and a gold medallion.

4. 1/2/13.  Beginning the year of 2013 was this post about clues that would help a person identify the date of religious medallions.

5. 11/28/13.  You might remember this one.  It was done not long ago.   It was my Thanksgiving post about being thankful.

6.  11/27/13.  This post announced a beach conditions downgrade and had a photo of an old trian going through Fort Pierce.

7.  11/18/13.  This one featured Michael E.'s gold chain and medallion find as well as beach conditions predictions.

8.  10/20/13.   This one featured an over-dated eight escudo and discussed the value of genealogical research for detectorists.


As you can see most of the most viewed posts of 2013 were posted in the fall when the weather changed and beach conditions improved and more finds were being made.

One of the common topics of the most viewed posts were gold chains and medallions.

The post that was not posted this fall was the one that was posted last January and was also about medallions.

It is no surprise that more people read the posts when conditions are improving and when more finds are being made.  I was surprised that the post about "thankfulness" was in the top eight.  Maybe I should do more of that kind of thing.

The end of the year is a good time to look back at what you accomplished and didn't accomplish and adjust your methods and goals for the coming year.

Happy New Year,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net