Monday, November 4, 2013

11/4/13 Report - Treasure Coast Beaches Beginning to Erode, Slight Upgrade in Beach Detecting Conditions


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


I did a little survey of part of the Treasure Coast after the morning high tide to see what was happening.

Seagrape and Turtle Trail Area

Here is a photo of what it looked like around Turtle Trail and Seagrape Trail.

There were little cuts, not much more than a foot and not continuous.  All well in front of the cliff.

And the erosion was in the white renourishment sand.

It didn't look very interesting to me.

The front of the beach wasn't real firm either.

There was some black sand, and I did notice that at spots the old brown sand was showing at some places on the cliff.  Overall, not especially exciting.


Wabasso Looking South Towards Disney.


Where the three people are in the distance, the one on the right was metal detecting.

Notice how high the sand was on the boardwalk.  The cut in front of that was maybe a foot or so.  Nothing big, but at least some sand loss.






The beach at Ambersands looked a little better to me than those that I saw farther south in Indian River County.

You can see that it is scalloped.  One thing I liked about it is the firmer sand in front of the scallops.

Beach at Ambersands.
You might remember that when the water was hitting the cliff back by the dunes here, older US silver coins were coming out of the white renourishment sand, which you can see at the back of the beach in the photo.

The new cuts here, as well as at the beaches shown above, were all well in front of the dunes.  That of course is not a positive.  The water didn't get very far back on the beaches yet  Certainly not nearly as far back as it did when Sandy passed by.



Looking South Towards McClarty Museum.

The beach north of McClarty had a long three foot or so cut.

The fellow down the beach was detecting.

One of the South Florida guys was working the area between Ambersands and McClarty.

This area was renourished not long ago too.  The erosion wasn't getting into any of the older sand.  And the beach was protected most of the way by a sand bar along the front of the beach.

Targets were few.  That does not mean that there are no cobs though.  I've found cobs when they produced the only signals on the entire beach.

From what I saw I am going to upgrade my Treasure Coast Beach Detecting Conditions Rating to a minimal two.  I don't doubt that a few cobs will be found in the next few days, although I am not yet expecting nearly as many as were found after Sandy.  According to the predictions we haven't even had the roughest surf yet, and it is supposed to continue for a few days. We'll have to wait and see how it develops, but surely there will be some improvement in conditions.  One thing I don't like so far is the angle of the waves.   When Sandy went by, the water got back much farther on the beaches even though there wasn't a great deal of erosion.

I'd like to see more of a north wind.  The waves this afternoon are hitting very much from the east.  I'd expect more erosion at beaches that are angled more from the northeast to the southwest.

There were a few finds today.  I don't have photos of them yet.

The surf is getting a little bigger, and supposed to be up to 4 - 7 feet tomorrow.  It looked like six to me this morning.

There were some logs and things rolling around in the surf.  Watch out for those.

I saw a couple of guys out just scouting the beaches besides those detecting which I pointed out above.

That's it for now.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net