Thursday, November 14, 2013

11/14/13 Report - One Detectorist Finds His First Cobs and Beach Detecting Conditions.


Written by the TreaureGuide for the exclusive use of tresurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



Recent Finds by Ian A.
Photo submitted by Ian.
You might remember Ian A. who found the British coaked sheave.  That was one of my favorite all time finds that I was able to post in this blog.  (See my 3/11/10 post.)

Congratulations are due!  Ian found his first cobs.  Here they are.

Here is what Ian had to say.

Been along time since I found anything worthy of reporting.  

I was finally able to get in on the action, and after several years of looking found my first cobs.  

Its funny reading your posts the last few days and the tone I'm reading into them is that you must be hearing a lot of frustration from people writing in. Lord knows I have been there.  Hunting the tides in the middle of the night, in tropical storms, hunting below awesome cuts, and still finding no cobs.  Then getting the added salt of seeing other people making finds.  I spent a lot of time researching,  and studying sources like your blog..trying to find the keys to success.

Now that I finally found my cob it is clear that all the information was there and I wonder how much earlier my success might have come if I had just applied it a little better Ha!  imagine that!

Anyway the rectangular cob was my 1st and weighs in at a whopping .4 grams.  The other came a few days later and bends the scales at .7 grams.

... They look like Mexican crosses to me and I think I can make out a M on the front of the rectangular one but that's about it....

As always thanks for taking the time to do the blog.

Ian

Thanks for sharing Ian, I always like to celebrate first finds.  Congratulations.

I've never seen one eaten through like that.  Wonder what caused that?

They are in the same weight range as others that I've been seeing from the beaches.



I've not had internet service for a couple days and just got it back a little while ago, so I'll try to catch up a little now with a brief post.  I'll try to get back with more later.

Yesterday a cold front came through and the wind increased up to 25 or 35 miles an hour and came from the northeast.  Today the wind switched and the waves were coming in pretty much from the East.  I think detecting conditions would have been better if the waves were hitting more from the North.

The photos below were taken this morning.  As you can see, I saw a cut that was about 4 to 5 feet high.

Treasure Coast Beach This Morning.







Same Beach This Morning.






While the surf on the Treasure Coast was up to near 7 feet today, the surf will decrease a good bit tomorrow and for a few more days.

The exciting thing for me is that in a few more days we'll be getting more surf at seven feet again. If we continue to get a good high surf, I'd expect conditions to improve even if it isn't obvious.
Sand in front of the beaches will be stirred up and moved.   

I'd like to see cuts that go back farther on the beach and also closer to the water level.

Some beaches are now eroded while others are not.  You have to check around.

I'm going to keep a 3 rating on my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting Conditions Scale.  Could be more like a 2.5.   


I have photos of more beaches from Joan T. that I'll post when I can.  Thanks Joan.




Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net