Sunday, December 14, 2014

12/14/14 Report - Our Lady of Guadalupe Imagery and St. Juan Diego. New Poll. November Favorites. Token Found.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeaches report.blogspot.com.


Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Guadalupe 

I believe I at least did one post on Our Lady of Guadalupe.  I found a medallion with the image on it and gave the history, however as long as I searched I could not come up with that old post or the picture of the medallion.  I gave up on finding the photo and didn't want to make a new photo so I'll take the easy way out and use the picture from wikipedia.

I think I probably found more than one of those medallions but don't remember for sure.  I do make mistakes.  I'm sure you are all aware of that.

While going through the search for that old post, I noticed that I posted the photo of the wrong object a couple of times.  It happens.

Anyway, I found this interesting article about Our Lady of Guadalupe and wanted to post a good picture to go with the article, so I used the picture from wikipedia.

To give just a little background, below is the first paragraph from the article that gets into the symbolism of the image and how the imagery communicated to and helped evangelize the Aztecs.

Mary appeared on Tepeyac Hill in 1531 to a new convert to Christianity, St. Juan Diego.  This was the site of the temple of the pagan mother-goddess Tonantzin. The fact that the Mother of the true God appeared on Tepeyac Hill told the people that Mary was to replace Tonantzin and that Christianity was to replace the Aztec religion.

Here is the link to an article about the imagery of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  It tells what the imagery meant to the Aztecs, how it was used to communicate Christianity and some other good history.

http://spiritdaily.com/A1313guadalupesymbols.htm

It is very possible that you've found a medallion bearing the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe so you might want to understand the significance of the image.

The feast day of Our Lady of Gaudalupe was held on Dec. 12 this year.

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/NewsBriefs/Default.aspx?rssGuid=our-lady-of-guadalupe-mass-draws-thousands-in-la-71803/

------------

I posted a new poll.  You might find it difficult to give one answer since there is probably more than one reason that you like metal detecting, but try to decide which is the biggest or best reason for you.  If you've been metal detecting for a long time, maybe the main attraction for you has changed over time.  It has for me.

---------

The most read post of November was the 11/11/14 Report - Detecting Up North On A Quick Trip. Decoder Mystery Solved. Orphan Annie Radio Program. Fort Pierce Shark Attack,  while the most Google Plused post of November was the 11/25/14 Report -  Metal Detecting Target Distribution Patterns and Search Strategies - One Excellent Example.   Sedwick Auction Results Online.

----------


Nice Token Found by Dan B.
Photo by Dan B.

On the Treasure Coast we have a 2 -3 foot surf today and tomorrow.  It looks like it will be less than that for the next few days.  There are a few select spots where it might be worth checking the low tide zone after the high water and waves we had.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@Comcast.net