Wednesday, October 19, 2016

10/19/16 Report - T. C. Beach Conditions Rating Is 2. Sedwick Auction Online. Kang-Hsi From Bees Wax Wreck.


Written by the treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

John Brooks Beach Yesterday Near Low Tide 
Yesterday I mentioned the bigger surf and higher tides.  I raised my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting Conditions Rating to a 2.  I had dropped it to a 1 for a couple of days.

Eroded Dunes Yesterday Afternoon.
Although there isn't much in the way of cuts and most beach fronts on the Treasure Coast are mushy. as you can see in the picture above, the high water got to the dunes and caused some erosion there. That is part of the reason that I increased my beach conditions rating to a 2 again.

The surf is supposed to be higher today so it should be hitting the dunes at various places around the Treasure Coast again.

---

The Sedwick Coins auction number 20 is now available online.

Here is the link.

http://www.sedwickcoins.com/ta20/catalog.htm

In that auction are five nice balance scales.  You might remember the silver mystery item that I've posted a few times, including the following picture posted in my 9/26/16 post. Although I think it could be a scale weight, I'm not totally sure.  The shape is odd and it is not shaped well for stacking.


One of the scales in the auction is the one pictured below.

Scale listed in the Sedwick Coins Auction # 20
The weights in this set are for gold coins of various denominations, such as "ten dollars, "twenty dollars," etc.  There would be no need for stacking these weights, so one more doubt about my mystery item being a scale weight has been removed. at least in my mind.

If it is a weight for a coin scale, I need to identify coins that weigh ten grams like the mystery item. If I can do that, I'd be pretty confident that it is a coin scale weight,

Internet auction catalogs are excellent research resources.  They provide more fine examples and easier access to certain types of information than most museums.

---

You've probably heard of the Bees Wax Wreck.  It is in California, not anywhere near the Treasure Coast.

The other day I talked a little about Kang-hsi porcelain, which originated in China but was found on 1715 Fleet wreck sites.

There is an excellent web site for the Bees Wax Wreck, which shows among other things, a fascinating picture of what appears to be Kang-hsi porcelain shards that were turned into arrow heads by the native populations after the wreck, as shown below.

Shards Turned Into Arrow Heads.
Source: web site listed immediately below.
Here is the link to that excellent web site.

http://www.nagagroup.org/BeesWax/gallery/gallery.htm

---

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net